From:
Deb Beausoleil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:33:44 EST

I have been diagnosed as a celiac for nearly 5 years.  For the past 2 years,
I have noticed a new symptom and am wondering if anyone else has experienced
this.  I've been reading the previous posts about heartburn and indigestion
but this is a bit different.  When I go to bed at night and lie down, I'm
fine.  I have no symptoms at all while lying down...until I start to drop off
to sleep, that is.  As I am on the brink of falling asleep, I get this awful
feeling like I am going to vomit and I sit up in bed.  As soon as I sit up, I
feel better within about 30 seconds or so.  I do not have any pain or
heaviness or anything like that - just the horrible feeling that I'm going to
vomit (it has not come to that, thank goodness).  When I lie back down, I do
not feel this feeling -- not until I am on the brink of drifting off to
sleep.  It's gotten to the point that I have to sleep with 3 pillows under my
head.  I have waited until 4-5 hours after eating to go to bed...it doesn't
matter.  I go through this every night - not just when I'm having a gluten
reaction or anything....and those are few and far between - only when
accidentally ingesting gluten.

I'm seeing the doctor in a few weeks for my annual exam and will ask about
this at that time but I'm curious as to what this is and what causes it.  I
don't feel any burning or symptoms that go with GERD (my brother-in-law has
that).  I just can't understand why I don't feel this way when I'm lying
down....the act of lying down doesn't bring it on....but rather, going to
sleep.

If anyone has any ideas or also shares these weird symptoms, I'd love to hear
from you.  I'll summarize.  And will share any information I find out after I
see the doctor (only an OB-GYN and not a GI so she may have to refer me to
get any answers).

Deb in Milwaukee