From:
Manda Kristal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Manda Kristal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:23:51 -0700

I got many responses and I will cut and paste all those that were helpful.Thank you to all of you who took time to respond.
Manda

....There are gluten-free items available in grocery stores including delicious gluten-free cookies that I can't find in the states.  I was able to order grilled vegetables, salad, an eggs and potatoes dish (called tortilla de papas),and grilled meat and fish (if you eat that type of thing).  I had no problem but I was traveling with Spanish speakers.  we rented a place in Buenos Aires that had a kitchen which did make life easier. People in Argentina were familiar with Celiac and many of the gelato places actually had lables which said gluten or not gluten on them.

There is in Buenos Aires in Palermo one excellent and lovely italian restaurant that has a gluten-free menu -- they even serve you gluten-free rolls to go with your meal!It's called Simona:
www.simonaristorante.com.ar
It's at Humboldt 1551

Most dieteticas will have gluten-free foods for purchase -- there are dieteticas in every city/town that I've been to in Argentina (and I've been to many). Dietetica Viamonte as already mentioned on this thread has a HUGE selection.

You can find the best shop of gluten-free-food in this address (in downtown): Viamonte 859
www.dieteticaviamonte.com.ar

...Argentina
Asociación Celiaca Argentina
Sede Central Calle 24 No 1907 e/71 y72,La Plata (1900)
Buenos Aires – Republica Argentina
Telefono: +54 221 4516126
Fax: +54 221 4516126
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.celiaco.org.ar

           Supermarkets have gluten-free sections and
>         most restaurants that I went into (with my son who teaches out there)
>         have a very good idea of the problems and are very willing to help.
>
>         However, I doubt you'll be so lucky as far as vegetarian food is
>         concerned. There is, as you probably know, a great amount of meat -
>         particularly beef - eaten out there - and the best beef I've ever
>         tasted. But I can't recall having seen a vegetarian section on any menu.
>         That doesn't mean to say you won't find one, but I'm sure
>         vegetarianism
>         is not a high priority in that country. You'll probably be OK however as
>         far as fish is concerned.

......Eating there as a celiac was very easy. All one has to do is say "Soy celiaca (celiaco)" to the waiter and they know what to avoid.

....My wife and I are
vegetarian (also have fish once in a while like you). It wasn't easy.
Very few people speak good English, so I would recommend having
someone write out detailed instructions in Spanish.

Our hotel (Alvear Palace) had excellent room service, but that got
boring after a while .. and expensive.  They were able to get tofu
daily, it was our staple protein .. too complicated to explain
combining rice/beans, etc.  Also in South America it is typical to
cook beans with bacon or other meat ingredients for the flavor.

There is an Argentine celiac society, Google to find it.  GF foods are
well marked by the celiac society's icon; there are natural food
stores in several places in the tourist areas which sell rice pasta,
but nearly all their breads and baked goods contained milk or egg.

,,,,,