From:
Brenda Coats <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brenda Coats <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:59:24 -0700

Here are the responses I received to possible gluten contamination in Pamela's cookies. Sorry it has taken so long - I'm in the middle of buying a house. This is my first summary, so I hope I am doing it ok.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I've made the decision to totally stay away from these cookies. In fact, I'm leaning more and more towards cooking everything I eat from scratch and avoiding all processed foods.

Too many people are reacting to these cookies. I'm thinking about contacting the company about it.

~Brenda

I quit eating them, feeling I was having a gluten like reaction to
something in them, gluten or not. Since they say their products are
gluten free, I don't know what causes my reaction.  They make cookies
that have oatmeal. Please post a summary, as I am curious if anyone else
has problems.

----------------------
Hi
I just tried those cookies for the first time (Pamela's chocolate chunk) and had no problems, they were a nice treat.

Hi Brenda  - I consider myself a VERY sensitive celiac
- I react to both Bob's Red Mill and Amy's "gluten
free" products and to supermarket bakeries - but I've
not had any reaction to pamela's chocolate chunk
cookies in the year I've been eating them. Just had
some tonite, too!
I have not had stomach upset but I always get big whiteheads (pimples) so have given up on them.
More likely you are intolerant of an ingredient besides gluten.  I just read
an article that said a lot of Celiacs also become lactose intolerant.  For
me it would be the eggs and chocolate chips that would send me running.

You are right - I AM lactose intolerant. But this was definitely a gluten type reaction. When I eat lactose, it's a bad reaction, but totally different than gluten. ~Brenda
have not had a problem with them.  I thought they were made in a GF
environment.  Are there other ingredients in them that would bother you or
possibly another source of cross-contamination?

Not that I know of. ? ~Brenda

I've had mild reaction, but not sure why.
I have noticed how much smaller they are.....a bummer...
Pamela's also has a oatmeal cookie that is listed on the box as Gluten and
wheat free. I have to wonder if maybe they don't understand the extent.
Never reacted to Pamela's cookies...any of them
Each time i have eaten them, I had a reaction.  That was years ago, and when i wrote on line, most people told me it might be the canola oil.
Yes, I have had one. I think it is the milk products - or, maybe just too much sugar at one setting.
It is funny you should post this today, as I just tried some Pamela's
spicy ginger cookies over the weekend.  I got *really* sick afterward.
My gluten reactions vary from severe headaches to nausea, etc.  and this
one included just about everything.  It is possible that it was just
food poinsoning from the cookies I guess, but whatever the reason for my
reaction, I wouldn't eat those cookies again if you paid me.  And I
don't know whether they process on lines containing gluten.

Sounds like our gluten reactions are quite a bit alike. Hope you're feeling better soon. 8o) ~Brenda