From:
Lynn Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:50:33 -0400

Folks-
   I will be spending most of the month of Dec. in the Orient and would welcome
any tips others might have. I'm flying to Singapore  and will be there 3 days
after leaving from San Francisco. I then board a ship for a 14+ cruise
visiting 9 ports (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines,Vietnam, Brunei, Borneo,
Canton, Hong Kong-with an extended 4 day stay in Hong Kong and Macao on land
before flying out. These port stops are just for one day in each place.
   As far as the ship goes, I've been asked to send some sample menus. I plan
to also send the foods acceptable and not acceptable. I was told I can bring
NO food with me with this international system. I can't recommend gluten-free
food product names that I'm familiar with, as nothing will originate in the
USA. I believe the ship is British, "Sky Princess". I have no idea how to
handle the food restrictions within these other countries and at the hotels.
I am quite concerned since I'm an insulin- dependent diabetic and will need
the accessibility  of foods at certain times. I'm sure that won't be a
problem on the ship, as the agent said there is always fruit available and it
can be taken to your room. I've never been on a cruise before, so I'm
learning. I was told on land, breakfast is included and I imagine that's
continental and I don't know if I can arrange ahead of time to not have
gluten products.
   If anyone else has had experience in this area, I would greatly appreciate
your comments! TIA     Lynn in Omaha