From:
Dawn Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:33:40 EST

Hi Gang!

Thanks so much to all those hot chocolate lovers out there!!!!   The
are a lot of choices out there for us celiacs concerning hot chocolate.  A
summary follows.

First, though, I have to mention that someone brought to my attention (very
nicely and subtly) that there was a post on this last year (and there
probably is one every year from us newbies).  Sorry, I should have ran a
check on the archives first but being new... :)  Anyways, thanks a million!
Here's the compilation with sources in parenthesis:

Note: If no sources were supplied in the responses, I listed it just as
'fellow celiac'.

Carnation/Nestle USA 1-800-637-8534 (fellow celiac & CSA/USA list):  70
Calorie Rich Chocolate, Fat-Free Rich Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Rich
Chocolate, Rich w/ Mini-Marshmallows, and Rich w/ no sugar added.

Also, Carnation (fellow celiac): Lactose free hot chocolate, fat free
raspberry, marshmallow blizzard

Also, from last year, Carnation (fellow celiac): Fat-free rich chocolate
cocoa, fat free marshmallow, no sugar added, marshmallow madness, rich
chocolate with marshmallow, double chocolate meltdown, milk chocolate cocoa,
and french vanilla.

Ghirardelli (TCCSSG shopping guide): Sweet Ground Chocolate & Cocoa, premium
unsweetened, hazelnut, MOchoa, double chocolate & White mocha hot Chocolate

Watkins inx (TCCSSG shopping guide): Cocoa Mix- French Vanilla, Irish Creme,
White Almond Chocolate

AlpineAire Foods (TCCSSG): Hot chocolate

Nestle (CSA/USA list): European Style: Chocolate Irish Creme, French
Chocolate Creme, Swisse Chocolate Truffle, Rich Chocolate and Rich Chocolate
with Mini-Marshmallows

Kroger's: hot chocolate in regular and sugar free.

Whole Foods/Freshfields hot chocolate doesn't have any suspicious additives.

Nestle Quik and heated in the microwave.

Only one person stated that they had checked the gf status lately and that
was for Swiss Miss in September of this year.

Many, many people suggested making your own from Hershey's cocoa for a really
safe hot chocolate.

For additives, people suggested:
whipped cream
vanilla
cinnamon
gf liquor
gf creamer
Also, hot chocolate 'fluffed up' in a blender for a cappucino type feel.

For those lactose intolerant:
'DariFree' powered milk through Ener-g Foods in Washington state.  You can
find it through www.vancesfoods.com or 1-800-497-4834.

And gluten-free almond milk or soy milk as a substitute for milk.