From:
"Mara E. Levin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:04:47 EST

Thank you to those who responded about making custard type pies. I used Thai
Kitchen coconut milk in my pie. Here are some responses that may be helpful to
others (hope I didn't miss anyone):

My doctor says that coconut milk will increase your blood pressure, however,
as you say once or twice a year won't hurt.

it is the only "Eden" brand drink that is gluten free.  I use an extra egg,
and not crust--since it's essentially a custard, this works very well
(alternatively, I've used a crushed walnut crust --with a bit of sugar and
margerine to keep it together--altho this crust burns easily and requires that
you keep an eye on it). I usually have to bake it 15 minutes longer so that it
sets up.

Hi, I make pumpkin pie and custard ( no crust) allof the time with rice milk,
I just use a bit less than the recipe calls for and a bit less sugar.  Always
turns out great

the Soy Dream milk is pretty thick and might have worked, too,
although you wouldn't have had the great coconut flavor!