From:
Kathy Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:54:44 -0800

Wow, Thanks to all the 34 people you emailed regarding my daughters
constipation problem, One thing we have taken her off mineral oil as soon
as some of you mention it decreases the absorption of nutrients, She need
all that she can get. The problem is gone for right now & hopefully all
this information will help her not to have this.  I've just taken some
suggestions from the emails hope this isn't too long.

I add a little flax oil in his diet every day.

Daily snacks of fresh-popped popcorn, grapes, and apple juice, until
things were back to normal.  Our doctor also advised sitting regularly on
the toilet (after each meal and snack) to encourage regularity.  He
advised metamucil, but frankly it was impossible to get them to take it.
Slippery Elm Bark. It tastes gross but if you can get it down her.

I used to give her the orange flavored prunes by SunSweet.  The phone
number of the company is 1-800-417-2253 You would have to check to make
sure they are gluten free though because she hasn't needed them since
going gf. get a gf yogurt and put extra probiotics [open some capsules]
and stir it in.

The only thing that really helped in childhood was swimming.
Her dr. has her on senokot 1/2 tsp in am and 1/2 tsp in pm.  Some
people suggest I look for other food intolerances and I think the first
one will be lactose.

I would not give your child mineral oil as it will decrease the
absorption of nutrients in her intestines, esp. the oil based vitamines
such as A, D, and E.  Better  to try and find a magnesium supplement that
would supply calcium and magnesium  in a 50/ 50 ratio.  A pediatrician or
better yet a dietician would know the proper dosage for a child that age.
 Magnesium is often deficient in Celiacs, and the addition of magnesium
will act as a mild laxative and will cause evacuation of the bowels.
Another thing to try is ground flaxmeal.   It contains essential omega
3's necessary for good neurological development and will act as a
laxative in appropriate amounts.  It can be added to yogurts and added to
bread ingredients if you make your own bread. Water is the best at
softning stool.

Another very often neglected benefit to bowel health is exercise.   It's
hard to exercise a 2 yr. old, but walks in the park, swimming lessons,
horseback riding lessons, anything that gets the child excited about
movement, maybe dance lessons will benefit a healthy gut.

Our constipation cures are mineral oil, apples and remove the cheese in
addition to prunes, warm baths.

An old trick is a spoon of honey to help with constipation.

She may have other food allergies The company has a money back guarantee
if you don't get better in 3 months.  If you call 1-800-684-2231 and ask
for Lisa, she will send you free information about the testing.  She is
very nice.  Their website is www.betterhealthusa.com and it gives a list
of symptoms attributed to food allergies.

Make a "muesli" of chopped up dried fruits like prunes, apricots,
raisins, currants, etc. Add chopped up nuts, dessicated coconut, some
sesame seeds, flax seeds and a tablespoon or two of psyllium husks. (all
obtainable from a health food store). Sprinkle it on yogurt or icecream
with some honey.

Acidophilus is one. It just says take two tablets (some versions want
you to refrigerate them others do not, some want you to take with a
meal, others do not), but being that she is only two, I would start her
out on 1/2 of one, crushed in apple sauce or a smashed banana. The other
is a little Aloe Vera juice or gel.

Did the doctor asked for an x-ray to check if your child has spastic
colon?

My daughter problem is psychological, not physical.  She holds it, and
wont let it out.

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac when she was 19 months old.
Constipation was also a problem for her on-and-off before and after she
was diagnosed. She just turned 11 years old and every day without fail
she has a 8 oz glass of prune juice. We also insist that she has a large
glass of water with every meal.

Hope this will help other celiacs with constipation problems.
Thanks Again
Kathy
MN