Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:56:52 -0400

Here are some of the responses I received:

Check into the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) through a federal office of the government.  The college may need to comply because of the regulations in the act.
----------------
 I would assume that our nutritionist would buy those if we requested it. She'll stop at the local health food store and pick things up. Our problem is getting access to what she's bought. Our son, like yours, hates the embarrassment of it all, so isn't very assertive.
------------------
I would suggest you work with Disability Services Co-coordinator at your
son's college.  Food services is not making adequate accommodation, IMO,
they need a little more 'encouragement' to get on the ball.  You will
likely need a letter from your DS allergist/doc to get Disability
Services involved
-----------------
We then went to speak to Worcester State where she also was accepted. They
are giving her an upper level dorm with full kitchen. Dining services will
order food from wherever we get her favorite foods as well as they said she
can have access to the dining hall director's office where there is a pantry
and frig--but not into the kitchen itself(unless you have a job there).
----------------
Are you familiar with a 504 plan?  It's part of the law that says that students with health or other special circumstances need to be given appropriate accommodations by schools who receive federal funding.  Celiac is covered by a 504.  You might want to ask at the office that helps students with disabilities.  They certainly should be able to help you work something out.  I googled 504 plan college celiac and got a link to the following address with a summary that might be helpful:

    www.celiacdisease.net/Portals/1/Rehab%20Act%20(B).pdf

If the college receives any money from the federal government, which 99.9%
do, they must have 504 Accommodation plan.  That means they have to find a
way to safely feed your child.  This falls under the ADA, Americans with
Disabilities Act.  The school will have a compliance officer for this.  Ask
to speak this person and ask to see their 504 plan.  They have to have it
and this will not label your son.  I understand how he feels, as my son
feels the same. although is younger (12).
-------------------------
Our daughter attended Gettysburg College and they bent over
backwards to help her, she had a very large assortment of food in their
freezer and her own toaster oven on a special shelf in the kitchen.  But,
she never used any of it because she was too uncomfortable going to the
kitchen herself and not blending with the others at the college.  She wanted
to just stand in line and get her food and felt by the time she went to the
kitchen and heated up her meal, her friends would be headed back to classes.
So she didn't ask about ingredients and ended up cheating for the two years
she was there.  I'm not sure what the answer is except if your son has a
stocked refrigerator in his room he can eat breakfast before going to
class...most college kids don't get up for breakfast anyway!  He can always
get yogurt, salads and fruit in the cafeterias. Lots of kids just munch on
bagels, breakfast bars, chips, pretzels, etc. and there are lots of great
gluten free options for these foods.  The one thing we requested (and
received) from the college was a refrigerator in her room, she kept it
stocked by purchasing gluten free foods from a local health food store.
---------------------
This from the Food Service Director :

 If you don't have luck with the nutritionist, ask
to speak with the Food Service Director or District Manager and
explain your situation.  We have made accommodations such as you are
requesting several times for students.  In addition, being in a Metro
area with a Whole Foods two blocks off campus, they simply send
someone to do shopping at the local store for specialty items if they
are required.  I understand their reluctance to allow you to bring in
food, or to store your food since they don't know how it was handled
and could be liable if your son became ill, however they then need to
make a reasonable accommodation for him by providing the food he
needs.  If this means someone has to go shopping for him every week
so be it.  The other alternative is to have him released from the
meal plan.  The downside to this is he doesn't eat with his friends
and may become more isolated.