From:
Don McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:00:31 -0800

I received 6 responses, three of which reported having a relative with
diverticulosis. One message referred me to the CSA website for information,
Call: 402/558-0600 or the web site:  http://www.csaceliacs.org

 Vance sent the following:

>My mother had 2 colon-resections because of diverticulosis, and I am
>wondering about the possibility that nutritional deficiencies caused by
>CD could precipitate diverticulosis.  Any of you know of any connection?

Certainly. Celiac causes both diarrhea and constipation, both of which
cause diverticulosis, and eventually diverticulitis. Celiac causes a lot
of distending gasses, which also stretch out the colon and cause
diverticulosis.

In view of what Vance wrote, it does seem wise that,if not every
sufferer, at the very least any sufferer of diverticulosis with a
relative with CD, be tested for it -  so that the  cause rather than the
symptoms could be treated. Thanks to those of you who responded.

Nancy McPherson Ashland, OR