Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:32:14 -0500

Last week, when I posted the replies to my Cortizone 10 question, I
included our understanding of the possible response to gluten on the
skin, in response to someone saying "on the skin is O.K."  I received
e-mails on the subject, on both sides, which are below.  The members will
have to make their own decision as to topical applications.  I am not
saying it is alright one way or the other, the original "O.K."  was
someone else's ideas.  Susan

--"I read about the answers you received.  I do not use cortizone 10, but
the person who said "you aren't planning on eating it are you" really
hasn't experienced an intolerance.  I can just smell mouthwash, vaseline
or petroleum products, etc.  and have a bad reaction.  Salve can be just
as problem causing as ingestion for an intolerant person.  If you have
any problem with petroleum products or fragrences you may have a problem.
My husband uses it and doesn't have a problem.  There are different based
cortizones.  If you have trouble with one, check the other carriers.  I
think there is a liquid too.  You may have to look for this one."

--"It was also our understanding that one should use GF soaps, etc.  I
know that my husband who has CD has itchy red bumps which appear when he
accidentally uses something that contains gluten or accidentally eats
something that contains gluten.  So, in his case anyway, there goes the
theory that if you don't eat it, it is OK."

--"There may be some who are not affected by gluten coming in contact
with their skin, but for me, avoiding it has made a huge difference.  I
have long hair and the worst offenders for me were hair products.  Even
after going GF, I had some skin problems, but now that I avoid them, I
have people comment all the time on my skin.  The itching, flaking, and
mild acne I had are completely gone -- unless I get ahold of a product
containing gluten -- then they come back.  For what it's worth."

--"I am dh.  I have trouble with things I put on my skin.  I avoid red
and yellow dyes, products with alcohol( use witch hazel)."

--"There is absolutely no reason why you can't use Cortisone 10.  I
agree, your not going to put it in your mouth.  The only way gluten can
cause a celiac reaction is for it to go through the gut.  When a
medication is absorbed into the skin, it goes into the bloodstream, not
through the gut.  "

--"According to Dr Alessio Fassano with the University of Maryland Celiac
Research-unless it goes in the mouth and thru the gut-don't worry about
it."