From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:27:52 EST

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995 12:35:41 -0500 <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I've wondered a couple times when wanting to make a few recipies if
>marshmallows are gluten free?  (Rice crispie treats, for example, with gluten
>free crispy rice cereal from the health food store?  Marshmellows in sweet
>potatoes?  I would buy and melt the real thing (doesn't have to be mm cream
>in the jar).  Anyone know

Some brands of marshmallow contain "starch" and thus must be suspect. Other
brands specify "corn starch" and are, I assume, ok if no other suspicius
ingredients are listed. In my grocery store, the "name" brand has "modified
food starch" but the generic store brand does not.

I use the store brand for Rice Crispie treats (now and then, since they have
to be real killers on yoru teeth!) using Stow Mills brown crisp cereal. This
cereal tastes the closest to the real thing, in my opinion.  Before finding
out about this brand I tried a few others..they weren't very good. And puffed
rice doesn't really work at all. LL