From:
"Ellen S." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 23:06:53 -0500

- Interesting.  I’m gf about 20 years, too, not counting when I was a
child in the 1950’s. I bought the product awhile ago, but haven’t tried
it.  You do have a good point.  Testing is like a biopsy.  They
technically could miss the minute amount of gluten that slips in.  I
wonder if anyone has contacted the company to verify. Can’t do right
now.  I’m ok with 10ppm, even 20ppm.  I would prefer, however, to give
my money to those companies that go the extra ($$$) mile to make sure
the oats are grown and processed in gf conditions.  I don’t like giving
my money to a big company, if they’re going to get sloppy, albeit the
convenience of finding the products in a wider array of supermarkets.  I
like to say, I vote with my wallet.   Big companies have drowned out the
original mom and pop companies that started this business.  Heck, are
there any mom and pop companies left????!!!

- I had a co-worker bring me a box of the CHEX Gluten Free Oatmeal...I
ate it twice and had a reaction both times... Would NOT recommend it at
all... However, I also have a reaction to the CHEX Corn Chex...and they
are supposed to be gluten free also... I have just eaten some Rice
Chex...and so, we will see if I have a reaction to those. I found this
article recently...which is interesting. The oatmeal does not have BHT
on the label...whereas, the Rice Chex that I just ate does!
http://gluten-free-blog.blogspot.com/2010/01/chex-cereals-gluten-controversy.html

- I have been GF for thirty years and I eat the Chex cereals as either
cereal, crumbs for pie crusts, crumbs for meat loaf and several other
things. After the last biopsy I had, the doctor told me that he wished
all of his patients were as good about staying GF as I am. I assume that
the test would not show they were mostly GF if the oats were not OK. And
of course some people cannot tolerate the small amount of gluten that is
allowed in the test. I can.

- I think they are terrible.  Mush. I'll stick to bob's red mill gf.

- I suggest Bob's Red Mill gluten-free quick-cooking oats. I set up a
mini-crockpot, plugged into a timer from the hardware store, at bedtime.
I put quick-cooking oats, a little gluten-free Bob's oat bran, and a
tiny bit of GF apple fiber in it with water, stir, put the lid on, and
it cooks 4 hours on low from 3 am to 7 am.

- I found this site that has some quotes from the company. They would
fall under the legal 20 ppm standard.
http://www.thesavvyceliac.com/2014/07/03/review-new-gluten-free-oatmeal-chex/

-  My daughter has been eating gluten free since her diagnosis at age 5
about 16 years ago. She has waited MANY years to be able to go down the
cereal isle and choose a "regular" cereal. She enjoys the Chex GF
cereals regularly. You are smart to make your own choices as does my
daughter and most everyone on this list.
PLEASE, please do not email or call General Mills and tell them that
they are not providing safe GF cereals. If we call and complain, the
only result will be that they will pull the product from their offerings
and then we will be back to where we were 16 years ago with no choices.
Everyone has the ability to take precautions for themselves based on
what information we can obtain from manufacturer's and our own research.
It is a very personal choice. I have been a member of this list as well
for 16 years and have read from others that the choices are exactly
that...personal.

- I understand your concern about the oats in Chex Oatmeal if you are
one of the rare persons sensitive to the gluten in oats but as you know
oats are acceptable to most gluten or no gluten. I have found that I
tolerate some wheat gluten, like I at french fries at Ruby Tuesdays
yesterday evening. They were the best I have tasted since I was in
Quebec. I also drink regular beer. My point in my message is that I am
thankful your introduction to a new product for me. I will look for the
next time I grocery shop but in this neck of the woods it takes time for
new products to arrive.

- If they test it, I don't think I could be more confident. They are far
ahead of other GF labeled products. We eat Chex products because of
this--and we are super vigilant. But we all draw our GF tolerance line
in different places. It's all not as scientific as I would like.

- Please summarize - I tried it w no ill effects but then realized the
oats weren't certified gf. Thanks!

- Hi - I will also not be purchasing these. Thanks for the heads up on
the labeling.

-You could call the manufacturer and ask if they use GF oats.  Since the
product is labeled gluten free they need to comply with the new ruling
of less than 20ppm of gluten. Maybe they just don't specify that they
use GF oats.

- I have kept it simple and just avoid all oats, in case I’m one of the
small % who react, since my gut reacts pretty harshly to
accidental/cross contaminate gluten now after 13 years. Happy to know
they have been OK for you, and I would agree with your decision here!

- If one considers both that the product states that it is tested to be
GF and a major corporation with a big legal department is willing to put
their name (and bank account) on the line by labeling it "gluten free" I
really don't see the need for certification. I see that as mainly for
smaller companies that don't control their supply chain or have the
facilities to test in-house. Both celiacs at this house, including one
who is super-sensitive, have eaten the Chex oatmeal and had no adverse
reaction to it.

-While I'm not a big fan of General Mill's gluten-free products, believe
it or not, they are actually following the FDA guidelines. They are not
allowed to say "gluten free" in the ingredients listing. Read more via
this article from Gluten-Free Watchdog:
https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/blog/Special-Report-The-Use-of-Oats-in-Gluten-Free-Foods/36

- I’m not generally all that sensitive, but I had a bad reaction to Chex
oatmeal, though I’ve done fine with more strictly processed GF oatmeals.
I gave the rest of the box away to a non-celiac!

- I am highly sensitive and get sick easily so I am extremely careful
about what I put into my mouth. Because I've had no problems with eating
gluten free Chex cereals, I gave the oatmeal a try without hesitation
and I'm happy to say that it tastes good and I've had no reaction.

Many thanks and a Happy, Safe GF Thanksgiving!
Ellen
--

--
                          love email again