From:
Rene' Eichem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:42:52 +0000

I had an episode over the weekend that left me wondering if anyone else
has ever experienced anything similar. Perhaps it is not related in
anyway to celiac disease, but if so...

Since the age of 14 I occasionally have episodes of fainting for no
apparent reason. This weekend I was at my husband's office Christmas
party when I suddenly felt very hot, very weak, and nauseous. I knew I
was going to faint and wanted to get some cool air as quickly as
possible. My husband took me outside, where the temperature was around
30 degrees, but I felt as though I was burning up. I took only a few
steps and fainted. I woke up about 10 minutes later in the emergency
room of the hospital (luckily the hospital was right next door to the
country club).

My blood sugar level was fine, my heart rate and temperature were also
fine--basically the dr. said I was in great condition. He said I had
slightly low blood pressure, but nothing to be concerned about (I have
always had low blood pressure). After about 2 hours, they sent me home
and told me to rest. By that time I felt a little weak, but was
basically fine.

In the past I have been tested for epilepsy (no), brain tumor (no),
diabetes (no), and just about everything else you can think of. I always
know when I'm going to faint, I can feel it coming on and it's the same
every time--hot, dizzy, weak, nauseous, etc. and then I faint. There
doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the episodes, it doesn't matter
if I've just eaten, haven't eaten in a few hours, have been standing or
sitting.

I also haven't had a fainting spell in about 5 years, but it's happened
about a dozen times total since I was 14.

This may have nothing what-so-ever to do with CD, but I am curious if
anyone has ever experienced anything like this before.

--

A. Rene' Delehanty-Eichem
Manhattan, KS