From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:26:31 -0800

I've used various kinds of GF flour mixes.  They all seem to work equally well for just about any thing I cook or bake.  I don't buy the specialty GF flour mixes, they are too expensive.  And, I don't make different mixes for different baking needs.  That takes too much work & space.  I use one or the other of these two simple mixes:

White GF flour mix:
1 box La Estrellas rice flour (cheap Mexican rice flour from Walmart)
1 box corn starch (I buy the cheap Mexican stuff from Walmart)

GF Sorghum flour mix:
1 box La Estrellas rice flour (cheap Mesican stuff from Walmart)
1 bag Bob's Red Mill Sweet sorghum flour
1/3 a bag of Bob's Red Mill Tapioca flour (or starch, can't remember)

Both these mixes are great for baking, gravies, pancakes, etc.  If I want a "wheaty" looking baked good I add a few tablespoons Flax seed meal to the recipe.  I don't put this into the flour mixes as flax seed meal must be stored in the freezer to prevent rancididy.

I don't put xanthan gum or leavening in my flour mixes.  I prefer to add these ingredients when I bake as every recipe requires something different.

My mixes can't always be substituted cup for cup for wheat flour w/ any regular recipe.  Over the years, I've developed a "feel" for how thick or thin my doughs & batters need to be & I adjust accordingly.  This isn't unique for GF baking.  I baked for many years before going GF & never found any such animal as a perfect-every-time recipe.  It seems all recipes sometimes need a little adjusting here & there because of variables in measuring techniques, freshness & moisture content of ingredients, compactness of flours, temperature, substitutions, etc.

If any of you wish to share your favorite home made flour mixes w/ me, I'll be happy to post them in a summary.

Valerie in Tacoma