Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:12:07 -0800

Hi all,

I have had celiac long enough that it is just part of my life, and not
something I spend much time thinking about. But this week, it provided the
opportunity for such kindness, and I just had to share.

I teach at an enormous university. Students occasionally bring me
wheat-based sweets or baked-goods, which I accept graciously, and then pass
on to my husband's office. I am very "out" as a celiac and use it as an
example in lectures to raise awareness (with the sheer number of students I
am in contact with, I figure that statistically I am teaching to at least a
few undiagnosed folks), but it doesn't stick for most of them - nor should
it, really.

This quarter, several students brought me goodies - cookies, cake, and
candy. It's around the holidays, and my husband's co-workers get excited
just seeing me walk through the door.

But yesterday, a student brought me a plate of brownies. I thanked her, and
was starting to change the subject when she said, "They're gluten-free." She
then proceeded to list off the brand-names of everything she'd used just to
double-check her research.

This student had remembered, and had obviously looked up what "celiac"
means. She went to some effort to make sure I could safely eat the gift she
brought. The amount of thought and consideration that went into it just
really touched me.

I appreciate all expressions of sweetness from my students, but celiac -
which usually complicates my life - also provided the occasion for a really
amazing gesture. It (and the kindness of undergrads!) makes me especially
grateful this season.

-- LQ

PS - looking for an easy go-to GF sweet for this holiday season? Try
Nigella's very simple "Chocolate Pistachio Fudge." I made it in the
microwave, one batch with dark chocolate and pecans, and one without nuts,
and my students went crazy over both versions. It's my new hostess gift.
Recipe here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_84430,00.html