From:
"C. Hansen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C. Hansen
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:24:14 -0800

Hi Listmates!

This is for Kate and her family, as well as anyone else who enjoys ranch dressing. My DH Jerry is allergic to both wheat and corn, and we LOVE Ranch dressing...so I figured out a Ranch dressing recipe this morning, and whaddya know, I find Kate's post on the digest! Hope y'all like it!

Cheers,
Chris

Rockin' Ranch Dressing (gluten and corn free)
Makes about 2 cups

1 cup buttermilk (some brands have modified food starch in them--you'll want to check the source, of course)
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (this is the powdery stuff, not the granules, but I bet you could use the granules as well)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
pepper to taste

In a bowl, whisk the mayo and the buttermilk together until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, crushing the herbs in your hands before adding, and mix well. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors blend.

You can make a dip with the same seasonings--just use sour cream instead of the buttermilk in the original recipe. (We like Daisy brand sour cream because it's made from cultured cream...nothing else.)

If you're *really* organized, you can make up little baggies of just the dry ingredients ahead of time and tape the recipe to the bag...then all you have to do is measure out the mayo, buttermilk, and vinegar.

To use fresh herbs instead, mince the herbs finely, and use 3 times as much (e.g. 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh marjoram and thyme). I can't wait to try this recipe with other fresh herbs as well--can you imagine this with a tablespoon or so of fresh basil added? Yummmm...

###