From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 17:11:28 +0000

Fellow Celiacs, I want to stress the need and urgency of Nancy Kloberdanz's
May 10th message which has been excerpted below:

The bill can be found online at -- thomas.loc.gov -- as the Food Ingredient
Right to Know Act - HR 1356

This Bill and any legislation that would further regulate food labeling are
strongly opposed by the food industry. Kennedy would like his Committee to
vote on the bill next month.

Where to find information:
Who represents you:  http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/ziptoit.html or
Congress.org

We need passage of this bill to make our diets easier to manage so we can
minimize some the research we must do.
Below, I've provided a copy of the message, I have sent all my Senators and
Representatives (first sentence I borrowed from Nancy's message and
guidance):

Honorable Senator XX or Representative XX,
The passage of Representative Lowey and Senator Kennedy Bill, the Food
Allergen Consumer Protection Act is important to the health and safety of
thousands of persons suffering from allergies and intolerances.  As the bill
cites, Americans depend on ingredient labels to abide by their strict
dietary guidelines.  If food manufactuers are required to identify the
derivatives of ingredients on their labels, millions of Americans will be
able to prevent devastating or even life-threatening health consequences
from ingesting known allergens or intolerant foods such as gluten.
I urge you to support passage of this Bill to prevent assaults to the health
of millions of Americans.  With conscious food labelling, food manufacturers
will be responsive to the consumers who support the very strength and
longevity of their businesses.

Pls. help us all by writing your Congress people.  Laura