From:
Angel Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:36:49 -0500

My question was:

Does anyone have any particular menu item in a chain restaurant they have
consistently ordered and have had no reaction to?

Got some tips on restaurants and entres.

For brevity, I shortened some of the responses.

1) Barbara in Illinois suggests we check the list archives. The first
reference here is where I learned of Outback menu items that are GF.
(Someone asked that question.)

Outback
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0004C&L=celiac&P=R2254

 Applebees Neighborhood Bar & Grill
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9911C&L=celiac&P=R3005

2) From Kathy C.

The one thing I do find that I can eat safely from a chain restaurant is
the potato skins (appetizer) at RUBY TUESDAYS.

3) From Lisa
I am terribly interested in finding more than OB Steak; I
heard Macaroni Grill may be in the process and some other chains are
expected to follow (Applebee's). Let's keep in touch as we learn more!!!

4) From Lynda
ask if they have a gluten free menu or menu items sometimes, but
generally I do not have a problem eating out.

I eat in restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner about 2 weeks a month
as I travel for my job, and what I have found works best for me is rather
the approach and tone of the question, and not being confrontational.  I
also say that I have an allergy to wheat, barley etc as that usually gets
better attention than celiac's or especially gluten.

Yes, there are chains that I generally go to in the US like the Outback,
Macaroni Grill, Chili's, and various Canadian chains like White Spot.  I
also patronize certain types of restaurants such as Japanese, Thai as they
generally suit the diet.  I find fewer chain types of restaurants in New
Zealand and Australia, but on the other hand their Gluten Free awareness
is miles better than North America down under so it is never a worry when
I am so far from my home in Vancouver, BC.

With VERY few bad experiences, I find people are generally willing to
help and will modify most menu items to my needs.  There is a minor
liability issue that I sometimes run into in the US, if anyone says the
word liability, lawsuit etc to me in a restaurant prior to making a meal
I get up and leave as they are not worth my business.

In 8 years of travel I have only had 2 bad experiences with eating food
from a restaurant that caused a reaction, and that is not a very bad track
record!

5) ONE LIST MEMBER said they had a back experience at Outback, apparently
having taken the advice of the wait person instead of reading the research
article (above) from the list archives that recommends certain Outback
menu items.  Sticking to the recommended menu items, I have eaten at
Outback Steakhouse several times and have had no bad experiences.

6) From Lari Jo
I am not saying run out and get a subscription, but
occassionally you see ads run through this site for
Bob and Ruths Travel Club.  The first few times I
thought yeah right?  When am I going to have the time
or money to take a 2 week vacation to Rome with these
People.  The trips are always to long and to costly.
But they came to Houston to give a seminar and I went.

 I was amazed.  He contacts every major chain and
finds out gf food items and puts together menus.  They
had it all. I spent the $40 for a subscription and now
eat out on a regular basis. I highly recomend this
newsletter.

7) From Stacey in NJ
I have eaten at Ruby Tuesday's and order the Smoky
Mountain Chicken and have had no reactions. I too have had no reactions
to the Alice's Spring Chicken at Outback. I don't get out to eat that much.

8) From Donna
We live in Boston Massachusetts and we have gone to the
Austin Grill in Cambridge several times.  They have a whole gf menu!
Here is their web address.  I know they have several restaurants around
the country. www.austingrill.com   I hope this helps :)

9) From Renee C.
Cheesecake Factory chicken breast medallions with balsamic vinegar sauce.
Delicious too!

10) From Vance
Tony Roma's barbque also has a gluten free menu. And
Wendy's and McDonalds.= But Outback ruined me. I won't trust them again.

11) From Michele in Colorado
Hey, just so you know, if you go to the
outback steakhouse website, you can email them for their menu and what
is gf. they have a LOT of choices and i have never once gotten ill
there. it is the only place i eat out at. thanks for sharing that with
the list.  by  the way, the sidneys sinful sundae at outback is GF!!!

12) From Shirley-Anne, Denver, CO
The Cheesecake factory, (they let you substitue mashed
potatos for pasta and they will use rice flour to
bread your food, they even have a flourless
cheesecake), most East Indian Restaurants,Red Lobster
(just ask a few questions) and most nice restaurants
are more than happy to accomodate you.

13) From Ann
I order a hamburger.....do not order tuna salads...they are
often extened with bread crumbs and may not use gf mayo.....

I usually try to order something that is made in its own pan...shrimp
scampi over rice..making usre no wheat or flour is added.  broiled
fish....a non mmarinated steak....have to be careful of
omlettes...sometimes they are made on a grill where bread was
grilled...Baked potato instead of fries. Risotto may be a problem
because of the chicken stock.  I keep it very simple and no fancy sauces
beccause I can't trust them...I usually explain my situation to the wait
staff and then tell them that if wheat does touch the mood and I get
ill..I will make sure it lands of them...said with a large smile of course.....

End of summary
Angel, Atlanta