From:
S&J Pitula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 15:45:47 -0600

Well I must say, summarizing ALL of the information I received was a
difficult task. I received somewhere around 45 responses - many people
listing more than one auto immune disorder they have along with
Celiac/DH. (If you responded with information on a family member with
celiac & something else, I listed them as primary, not as a family
member)

Anyway, the big winner was Hypothyroidism (Hashiomoto's Thyroidism) with
what prompted my investigation because my husband has it and was
diagnosed 4 weeks ago) and the 3rd runner up is Rheumatoid Arthritis
with 5 responses.

I really don't know what all this means - I guess I was just curious to
see how often auto immune disorders "travel in clusters". My answer
would be "quite often"... But of course, this is a small sampling from a
list of 3,000 subscribers.

I must say I was very disappointed that more men didn't respond. Either
there aren't many men in this group or... well... I don't know... I know
that if most men are like my husband, father, and brothers, they don't
go to the doctor as often as women... NO OFFENSE GUYS - I'M NOT BASHING
YOU AS A GROUP but I think that this is why women are usually diagnosed
with more auto immune diseases than men. If most women are like me, they
go to the doctor for everything... I don't think the lop-sidedness is
because men generally don't have the diseases - they just don't get
diagnosed because they just don't go to the doctor as often as women.
THIS IS MY OWN OPINION!!!

So here's what you all have been waiting for. If I have made a mistake
and listed something that isn't technically auto immune - sorry... I did
the best I could. AND PLEASE DON'T CHECK MY SPELLING... This is the run
down in alphabetical order:

f = female, m = male, r = relative, a family member of a celiac

Alpecia Areata = 1 f
Anemia = 1 m, 2 f, 1 r
Cardiomyopathy = 1 f
Chronic Fatigue = 1 f
Churs Strauss Syndrome = 1f
Colitis = 2 f, 2 r
Crohn's Disease 1 f, 1 r
Diabetes Type I = 4, f
Discoid Lupus = 1 f
Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis = 1 f
Fibromayalgia = 2 f
Goiter = 1 f
Granualcytes = 1 f
Granulomoa Annulare = 2 f
Grave's Disease = 1 f, 1 r
Hashiomoto's Thyroiditus (Hypothyroidism) = 11 f, 1 r
Histiocytosis = 1 f
Idiopathic Hypoglycemia 1 f
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Pupura (ITP) = 8 f, 2 r
Lupus = 2 f, 1 r
Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder = 1 f
Multiple Polyneuropathys = 1 f
Multiple Sclerosis = 2 f, 1 r
Myasthenia Gravies = 2 f
Osteoarthritis = 1 m, 2 f
Primary Lateral Sclerosis = 1 r
Psoriasis = 1 f
Raynaud's Phenomenon = 3 f
Rheumatoid Arthritis = 5 f
Rosacea = 1 f
Sjogren's Syndrome = 3 f
Vasculitis = 1 f
Wegener's = 1 f

A total of 80 auto immune disorders between approximately 50 people
including relatives. Interesting to say the least.

Thanks for everyone's input. A lot of sad stories to read but a lot of
encouraging information too...

Regards,
Janelle
Chicago, IL.