From:
Olivia Kogler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:50:11 EDT

Several people have responded that they were unable to access Martha Stewarts
recipe on her web site so I am posting to list rather than sending to each
individual.  I will post only the part about the potato patties used in place
of bread as any filling of your choice may be used.

12 Yukon Gold potatoes (I assume you may use other types)
Coarse Salt
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil

Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Start the potatoes in cold
water, and bring them to simmer.  This gentle method of cooking will prevent
their starches from breaking down. Bring to a boil and simmer until fork
tender, 30 to 40 minutes.

Drain and peel potatoes.  Transfer potatoes to a food mill placed over a
medium pot; mill the potatoes.  Alternatively, use a ricer or mash the
potatoes.  Add the eggs  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  Form
potato mixture into six patties. ( I would adjust the amount of egg to potato
mixture to make the right consistency to hold together in patties)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook potato patties
until crisp and golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes.

Use patties in place of bread for sandwich.  Put filling of choice between
two.

Martha Stewart said that these sandwiches were served to her on a trip to
Peru. They are based on an old Inca dish called cosa.

Olivia in Virginia