From:
"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.V. Rich
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 13:12:06 -0700

Hi Listmates -

I received 15 responses.  Thanks to everyone who emailed me -  your
rapid replies were very helpful!  A little more background - my
previous efforts to make a GF cake for my daughter failed - the first
time I tried, she had a gluten reaction (or maybe it was a
milk-reaction since we have since learned that she is casein-sensitive
as well as lactose-intolerant) to the organic frosting mix I used.  My
husband made our second GF cake with homemade frosting but  frosted the
cake before it cooled completely and it got moldy and soggy pretty
quickly after the first servings.  Let's hope the third time is the
charm!

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES

NOBODY said they had a problem with Duncan Hines frostings, which is
really pretty amazing considering how many different food sensitivities
we all have.  Several mentioned that they are very sensitive to gluten.

Three said they contacted Duncan Hines and were told their frosting is
GF.

One person indicated the even if cake and frosting are made at the same
plant, they are made in different areas since the products are so
totally different.  Cake mixes are just dry ingredinets & shortening
that are probably tumbled & packed bags & heat sealed...  Frosting is
wet, whipped. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been cooked to kill
germs & packaged hot.  After containers are filled, they are foil
sealed.  Nothing is common w/ cake mix in a bag/box.  Because of the
big difference in products, there would be two separate lines.

2 cautioned to always read ingredient labels as they may change and
also Duncan Hines may make a chocolate malt frosting that is not GF.

3 suggested using Pilsbury frosting as an alternative because it is
also gluten free.  Pillsbury is one of the terrific companies that
voluntarily labels for all major allergens  (although not for barley or
rye) which provides some reassurance.

3 recommended making frosting from scratch.  Below are the recipe
suggestions I received:

(1)  Take a pound box of Domino's confectioner's sugar and dump it into
a mixing bowl - slowly add "just a little" liquid at a time and beat  -
I use cold coffee for chocolate/mocha frosting (decaf or regular works
fine!), and milk or cold almond milk for vanilla frosting - when it
gets to a smooth frosting-like consistency, I add a teaspoon or more of
McCormick's vanilla extract. (For a true fudge frosting I add a
tablespoon or two of Giarrdelli's cocoa.)

Continue to beat for 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and glossy.

If you add too much liquid and it gets runny, just add more
confectioner's sugar. Frosting should spread easily but still have
some thickness to it. It can be covered and chilled to use later.

For an extra rich taste add a half stick of sweet butter, melted, and
use a little less liquid.

(2)  Use the  Whoopie Pies filling from the Bette Hagman's book "The
Gluten Free Gourmet Makes Desserts."  It is positively wonderful and
can be used in many ways........one being a frosting. It freezes well
too if your cake can't be finished before the cake dries out. The
recipe is on page 118.

I am going to make frosting from scratch this time... our daughter said
she would prefer to err on the side of caution because she wants to eat
a GF cake that she is sure won't  make her sick.  I guess we will try
the Duncan Hines frostings I bought at a later date when she is feeling
more secure.

Thanks again to all of you!  What a great resource this list is!

Jackie in AZ