From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:54:10 -0500

In July 1997 I sent the following to the list:

This is in answer to a letter from Leslie, questioning the wisdom of gluten
challenge when she becomes violently ill if she accidentally ingests
gluten.  I have the same question, tho in my case the violent reaction is
mental as well as physical.  I do vomit, have diarrhea, etc., but I also
become irrational, angry, and a pain to be around.

I have adamantly refused biopsy again and again.  The hard thing about it
is that the doctors are annoyed when a patient refuses to "cooperate."

Never mind that the doctors are refusing to cooperate with us.

Who's paying, anyhow, and who's sick?

Would a doctor knowingly eat something that might make him/her suicidal?
Or would he/she eat something that might threaten a job loss because of
irratic behavior.  With symptoms very related to schizophrenia in some
patients (and that includes me), isn't it more than a little dangerous to
do a gluten challenge for those persons - or perhaps for anyone who has
found relief in a gluten-free diet?

If that is the case, what are the alternative ways to determine whether or
not one is indeed a celiac , and is it important to know that, if one knows
that gluten-containing foods cause mental and physical symptoms?

Is it possible that gluten-induced change would become irreversible?  That
a challenge might cause lasting damage?  What if brain damage is the long
term result?  Do the medical professionals really know the answers to these
questions?

Gayle Kennedy

NOW THE IMPORTANT RESPONSE FROM Dr. Gary Kiefer

"Good for you.  I am a Dr. but a good one who happens to agree with you
100%.  I am trying to substantiate these biopsy tests to determine if in
fact they are important to help the patient or important to line the
pockets of the doctors.  I'm with you.  Take care.

Dr Gary"

I do not know Dr. Gary Keifer, and this is our only communication, but I
think his message is worth repeating for those wondering about a gluten
challenge and a biopsy, after one has been gluten-free for some time.

Gayle Kennedy