From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:58:11 -0800

Here is a continuation of replies for Tammy's pulmonary embolism:

Oh, MAN, I wouldn't assume this is due to gluten.  It sounds
dangerous and I think she should take those blood thinners.
Hi,  I have not had her particular problems, but did have a slight stroke in
1996.  I was told to take a whole regular (or coated) aspirin every day.
She must understand that if she does not follow the doctor's orders she
could die.  Bleeding from a paper cut is nothing.  Death is permanent. I
wear long sleeves as I have a pet sitting business and you can imagine that
when a dog puts its paw on my arm, I get a scratch and bleed.  I was on
coumadin when I had knee replacement surgery, and had to take it for about 5
weeks.  Forget that it is similar to rat poison and take it for yourself and
your family.  My former neighbor who had a multitude of health problems has
taken aspirin for 15 years.  And from time to time has taken coumadin.  I
would recommend that she at least take two enteric coated aspirin a day (if
she won't take the coumadin) and see if her blood tests are any different.
If not, she will need to make the choice.  I don't think I need to say
anymore.
Hi Susan,

Here is the reply I got from APSFA:

This party needs to be tested for clotting disorders & other autoimmune
disorders also.  Where there is one autoimmune problem there is usually more
and it is just luck that there hasn't been more problems.  Stopping Coumadin
following a PE (which are usually deadly - mind you) because they feel going
gluten free 'solved' their clotting problems is just plain crazy.   There
are no medical studies to support this at all.  This is all Russian Roulette
in my opinion and it is only time before something serious happens.

APS Foundation of America, Inc.

This foundation has a LOT of learning to do!!!
My problem was no where near what your friend Tammy's is, but I did
have problems with blood stickiness and thickening.  I also was told
after I was dxed with celiac that 2 of my miscarriages, 20+ years
earlier, were celiac related due to a bleeding abnormality.  My
celiac doctor had looked up my records and determined this, as I was
completely unaware that would have any connection.  So, I can confirm
that bleeding abnormalities are connected with celiac disease.  I do
not, however, have alot more info about this, as my blood is normal
usually now and I have never done research about it to find out more
than just the little bit my doctor told me when first dxed.

Good luck to your friend,
And, yes, my experience was remarkable!  I was bed-bound for over 13
years and unable to lead a normal life almost my entire life.  Today,
I am completely fine.  If someone had told me that a diet change
would have brought me back from the brink of death I would have never
believed them.  But seeing is believing.

Hope your friend has the same experience,
SUSAN IS SHE GLUTEN FREE AND IF NOT WHY NOT?
I CERTAINLY FEEL FOR HER AS I'M JUST RECOVERING FROM AN INFECTION THAT
NEARLY KILLED ME IN JAN STARTED OUT IN MY FINGER  AND SPREAD TO MY
CENTERAL LINE AND REGULAR VEINS WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 16 DAY IN A LARGE
HOSPITAL PAIN LOTS OF PAIN
I had a Pulmonary Embolism about 18 months ago. Didn't know what was
going on with me. The healthcare system, while excellent with acute
matters, was slow in identifying mine. I hadn't found the celiac