Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:34:22 -0500

Here is what I received so far. Lots of people have bouts of it. Many
have spent lots of $$ trying to figure it out with many finding no
definite answers. I will summarize again if I get more replies!!!
Thanks to everyone so far....

I had strong itching....I stopped using Iodized salt and that seem to
resolve the itch.

The first thing I think about when someone is having symptoms is the
possibility of hidden gluten. Has she checked all the usual and unusual
places gluten can hide? Is her home GF? Could there be other food
intolerances? Nutritional deficiencies?

A few years after going GF, I started having that.  It turned out to
be my gallbladder.

Yes, I get itches and pin prick like feelings, plus muscle jumps.
I've ben GF for over five years and my "innerds" were pronounced
"healed.  Not cured, but the irritation and damage from gluten was
healed over.  Now I really know the GF diet works and I'll be on it
forever.  That\'s OK.
    I've asked my GI doctor, an allergist, a dermatologist and a
neurologist about the itching and muscle movement.  No one has any
idea at all of the cause.  I eat no sugars, alcohol, or high fat
foods.  They all were triggers for the itching.  The rich foods are
hard to avoid.  I'm fine with the GF restrictions, and the itching got
too terrible from the sugars.  The rich food causes little problems
I'm willing to put up with on a little eaten basis.

I had skin pricks/zaps, needles and pins, vibrations and lightening
bolts in
my legs and feet from peripheral neuropathy. These symptoms did slowly
resolve on a GF diet. I am also taking methylcobalamin and other B
vitamins
to support my nerves.

My best guess is:
For random itchiness: (well not so random for me: groan itchiness) is
often associated with some level of yeast infection (which for me
interacts with my celiac disease and low-dose accidental exposure to
gluten).

Skin pricks: somewhat (for me) associated with the kinks in my spine,
and specifically associated with having a pinched nerve in my neck and
leading to the numbness of my left-hand finger and skin pricks in that
location (there is maybe some elusive connection with celiac disease
here, because of the rheumatoid arthritis in my neck and lower back).
My chiropractor is helping me with all of these spinal problems. (I've
been told that celiac disease will attack any system weakness and
therefore the 3 kinks in my spine).

Pins and needles: I have a problem with blood hyper-coagubility and
high cholesteral, and have to stay on blood thinners and cholesteral
drugs.... Its been a challenge to get the right dose of 'blood
thinner', for one thing, certain foods affect blood thickness (making
it a challenge to get the right drug dosage). When my blood is too
thin, I get pins and needles in my legs, and some swelling; when my
blood is too thick, I get shallow breathing. Apparently blood
thickness problems are mostly genetic and often associated with
autoimmune disease too; again another unclear (to me) possible
connection to my celiac disease.

While researching the possibility of vit. B deficiency (in myself) I
came across those very symptoms as being characteristic of vit B
deficiency, which is common in celiacs and older folks.

I definitely get this, but it only started AFTER going GF.  It happens
now after getting glutened.  In fact, I ignored the itching for
probably 2 years thinking it was just due to winter dryness or
something.  It was definitely 2 years of low-level gluten
contamination.  My husband and kids get the shooting zaps and
pinpricks after getting glutened.  Very strange, but I suspect it has
to do with B vitamin depletion or malabsorption after gluten ingestion
and damage it causes.

Yes, but no idea why.

She probably should be taking a B12 & she could have DH.
  here is a great forum http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/

Now if gluten flours touch my skin, it is almost caustic, intense
itching with skin practically vanishing, raw red, no relief from
antihistamines
All part of the wonder of CD.
Consider shampoos, conditioners, creams even sunscreen can contain
wheat or gluten. They all bother me so I choose GF alternatives
readily available.