From:
Bonnie Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:38:42 -0600

In her recent letter  Joanne D, said "Alcohol & vinegar, when distilled,
breaks proteins down.  The fractions may remain, which is quite likely what
contributes to a celiac's sensitivity.?

The idea that distillation just breaks down proteins into small peptide
fragments is a very persistant misconception but is completely inaccurate.
Distillation does not break down proteins, it removes them.  Because
proteins and even short peptide segments cannot evaporate, they are removed
with 100% efficiency in the distillation process.  To anyone with a strong
background in chemistry, the idea that gluten peptide fragments could be
found at any level in a distilled product is ridiculous.  What's more,
chemical analysis of the distillates confirm this.  No amino acids or
peptide sequences can be detected in the distillation products.

While I do not dispute that some celiacs have an adverse reaction to
distilled vinegars, I am confident that this reaction is not caused by the
presence of gluten in the vinegar.

All the scientific evidence available agrees that distilled vinegars and
alcohols do not contain gluten.

Bonnie J. Tyler, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering