From:
Jaclyn Martyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaclyn Martyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:20:20 -0500

Hi Listmates,
Below are the responses regarding Callebaut baking chocolate. I have left them unedited, with the exception of removing the names of the posters. Also, I've included the most relevant information from the e-mail I originally received from the company.
'The majority of our products are gluten free, including our baking bars. Please see the list below of our products which are not gluten free. - Orange Peel (Organic wheat syrup) - Marsior (Organic wheat syrup) - Chocolate Covered Coffee Cookies (Flour) - Chocolate Covered Pretzels (Organic flour) - Chocolate Covered Biscotti (Organic flour)' (Kevin Kazan, Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut)
'Callebaut makes great chocolate. When I've purchased it, it's been in bulk, so have never seen a label other than the one the store puts on. I've personally never had a problem with it.The irony here is that Callebaut owns Brach's, the single worst candy company when it comes to verifying ingredients. Once or twice a year a list member will contact them, and the answer is always the same--we can't certify any of our ingredients as gf, we don't verify any such information. Since Callebaut appears to be trying to give a clear picture of the situation with their main line of chocolate, perhaps they'll soon follow suit with Brach's'.'I'm lucky (or unlucky! ;) ) enough to live about 5 minutes away from one of their stores and about 20 minutes away from their head office here in Calgary. We have enjoyed their chocolates for over 20 years!I can tell you I have used the chocolate drops/bars for baking/candy making with fab success and they are definitely gluten free.However, I was really glad to see your email from them as I have in the past relied on store staff and never emailed them or called them personally. One of my fav chocolates is their dark chocolate covered orange rind chocolates---I had no idea I was consuming gluten and never thought to ask!''I can't speak to the gluten issues, but for cooking, baking, candymakingor just plain eating, Callebaut is absolutely premium stuff and wellworth the premium price .... Oh, my, it's good. ;-)'
'Please find below the website for Bernard Callaut.http://www.bernardcallebaut.com/users/folder.aspIf you go to nutritional information at the bottom it will open the pages where youcan choose your chocolate and see the ingredients.I quickly reviewed a hard copy ingredient list at one of their stores here inEdmonton today and most products do not have any wheat flour, etc in them. For themost part their products are gluten free. I did notice however that one of theirchocolates has rice crisps in it. This was not expanded upon and therefore I haveconcluded that, like Rice Crispies, it will have wheat flour in it. I was advised that some products have wafers and pretzels in them. These of course Iwould stay away from.'
A note about the rice crisps -not all rice crisps have gluten in them. However, always check!!!
I spoke to the chef where I work and he definitly advocates Callebaut as an excellent brand of chocolate. He did mention that Valrhona (French) is the best. It is incredibly expensive. To access ingredient lists go through the Professionals Corner and then into the section labelled 'Laboratory'. You don't need to login to do this; but no prices are listed. It seems to be g-f but isn't labelled as such.

Jaclyn Martyn,
Gluten Free Baker
Toronto, Canada