From:
Lindsey Rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 23:11:17 EDT

I wanted to pass along my deepest thanks to everyone who took the time to
respond to this crazy young choc-o-holic!!!  So if nothing else I can live on
a diet of M & M's and Reeces Pieces...hey that doesn't sound too bad.  I am so
impressed on how much of a support group this is....thanks.  Here is a summary
of some of the replies....

Sweetly yours,
Lindsey
Livingston, N.J.

P.S. THere is a rather extensive list at the end.  But there seems to be some
question still about snicker's bars, ...any definitive answers out there?

***************************************
All Jolly Rancher is GF. I called the company last week.
   At one time they were saying the small snickers were OK. They used
flour on the belts for the larger candy bars.  That was a few years ago.
***************************************
I don't know about all chocolate/candy, but
Nestle (1-800-225-2270) sent me a listing (5/28/98) stating that all their
confections are gluten-free (with the usual disclaimer) EXCEPT: Nestle
Crunch, Buncha Crunch, 100 Grand and White Chocolate Crunch
(Nesteggs/Jingles). Further, their cocoa, choco bake, baking bars semi-sweet
chocolate covered raisins and morsels (EXCEPT butterscotch and
buncha crunch baking pieces) are gluten free.
***************************************
I know that Snickers, both kinds of M&M's and Hersey's Kisses are GF!
I'm not sure about Reeses peanut butter cups. I few others that are also
suitable and come to mind (I love chocolate, too!) are Aero, Oh Henry,
and Cadbury chocolate bars. Watch out for Mars and Smarties...they are
NOT GF!
***************************************
Hershey's:  avoid Bar None, Cookies and Mint, Kit Kat, Krackel, Miniatures
and Whatchamacallit

Cadbury's:  avoid Krisp & Mint

M&M's:  all okay

Mars:  these are okay; 3 Musketeers, Mars Almond Bar, Milky Way dark, Peanut
Butter Snickers, and Snickers with soy flour listed on the label

Nestle:  avoid any w/ Crisped Rice such as Nestle Crunch and 100 Grand

Tootsie Roll:  all okay

Reeses:  Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups are okay

Fannie May:  has a very long list of GF candy.

Dove:  Chocolates and Chocolate filled shell
***************************************
All of the candy bars you mentioned above are GF.  However I was told to
stay away from the Snickers "miniatures" because they sometimes use flour
to dust the conveyor belts.
***************************************
- Lindsey, We are new to this too. I have CD and my 15 yr. old son (Darcy)
does too. My 19 yr. old will be biopsied on June 19. He has mild symtoms. We
know Gf candy lists or I'd never get Darcy to stick to the diet. Snickers,
Hershey bars,3 Musketeers, Butterfingers,Skittles,Nerds, Just born peeps,Blow
pops,Tootsie rolls, Tootsie pops, Cracker jacks, Dove bars, Dove Ice cream
bars( vanilla ice cream w/ choc or choc w/  almonds) Lifesavers,Cadbury cream
easter eggs, and Hershey kisses are all GF. This should give you something to
snack on. Debbie in Columbia SC
***************************************
GLUTEN-FREE CANDIES AND GUM
After-Eight dinner mints
Almond bark candy (light and dark chocolate)
Almond Clusters candy bars
Beech-Nut gum:  cinnamon 5-stick, peppermint, spearmint
Big League Chew gum:  original, grape, strawberry
Breath Saver mints:  sugar free:  iced mint, mint cinnamon, peppermint,
spearmint, vanilla mint, wintergreen
Bubble Yum gum
Cadbury candy bars:  dairy milk chocolate, fruit & nut, roast almond, Easter
cream eggs & mini eggs
Cambridge candies:  junior mints, Charleston chew, pom-poms, sugar daddy,
sugar daddy nuggets, sugar babies
Care Free gum:  sugarless only:  bubble gum, cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint
Cella's chocolate covered cherries
Charms hard candies:  blow pops, flat pops, charms squares, sour balls,
extreme encounters pops
Christopher's fruit jellies (candy)
Dove milk chocolate
Farley candies:  fruit flavored jells & juju & bears, giant jellies, gummy
bears, jelly bird eggs, jelly rings, juju coins,
jumbo jelly beans, orange lemon slices, speckled bird eggs, tiny jelly eggs
Fruit stripe gum:  bubble gum only
Ghirardelli chocolates
Hershey's Candy: 5th avenue, almond joy, caramello, hugs, kisses, milk
chocolate, milk chocolate w/ almonds, mounds,
 Mr. Goodbar, Skor Toffee, Special Dark, symphony, symphony w/ almonds,
toffee chips
Hershey's Tastations (all except butterscotch), classic caramels (plain and
choc. filled)
Jelly Belly jelly beans (all)
Just Born jelly beans
Lifesavers:  five flavor, mixed berry, tangy fruit, variety bag, wacky
frootz, butter rum, 5 flavor, tangy fruits, island
fruits, sour ^Ñn sweet, sunshine fruits, wild fruits
Lindt chocolates (except gourmet truffles)
Mars almond bar
Mike & Ikes candies
Milky Way candy:  dark, lite, & Easter eggs only
M & M's candy:  peanut, peanut butter, almond, Easter peanut pastels,
Halloween peanut harvest
Nature's Choice Real Fruit Bars
Necco Brand candies:  conversation hearts, wafers, choc. wafers, tart
wafers, Canada mints (all flavors), Mary Jane
taffy, salt water taffy, candy button strips
Nestle candy:  Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Butterfinger BB's, Chunky, O'Henry,
, Goobers, Milk Choc. (all items),
Bittyfingers, Raisinets, Sno Caps, Turtles
Nestle Sweet Success candy bars:  only  chewy chocolate peanut butter
Nips candies:  butter rum, caramel, chocolate parfait
Pearson Candies:  Butter Rum Nips, Caramel Nips, Chocolate Parfait Nips,
Chocolate Mint Nips, Coffee Nips, Peanut
 Butter Parfait Nips
Reese's:  crunchy peanut butter cups, peanut butter cups, pieces
Rolo caramels in milk chocolate
Skittles:  regular, tropical, wild berry
Starburst
Stick-Free gum:  sugarless peppermint, sugarless spearmint
Sunkist fruit rolls
3 Musketeers candy bar (reg.)
Tootsie rolls (all varieties)
Wrigley's gum:  big red, doublemint, juicy fruit, spearmint winterfresh,
cinnamon, classic bubble gum, original bubble
Gum, spearmint peppermint, winterfresh