From:
Sharon Marcus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:39:16 +0200

I want to thank the 20 or so people who responded to my question
about the reliability of GF means on British Air. Your answers were
kind and supportive.

The majority of replies of those who had actually had experience with
BA stated that for the most part if a GF meal was ordered AND THEN
RE-CONFIRMED a day or so before the flight, the meal would make it to
the plane. However, sometimes there were foul-ups. Also, an
interesting note was that the British Celiac [Coeliac] Society
permits wheat starch that has been almost de-glutenized. That means
that if you follow US guidelines, you are on a stricter diet.

EVERYONE suggested bringing food in zip-loc bags or in little
containers, just in case. Suggestions were nuts and dried fruit, for
the most part. Also suggested were sandwiches and apples, although
these may need to be sneaked in because of agricultural restrictions
on international flights. However, you can throw away whatever hasn't
gotten eaten when you reach your destination airport and go through
customs. Other ideas were cold macaroni and cheese (for kids who
don't mind) and energy bars. Some airline staff are even nice enough
to let you heat your special food in their microwave.

Someone also suggested the restaurant card and a letter from a doctor
explaining the condition, the necessity for keeping to the diet, what
it is and what consequences might occur if there is a slip up.

I think these suggestions are excellent for any overseas flight.

Again, thank you to all who answered.

Sharon Marcus
Israel