Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 16:15:56 -0400

A well intentioned friend of mine went to a bakery this morning called Pierre
Pechon (they have two London locations - one on Queensway and the other on
High Street Kensington).  They had a sign up in the display case for a Banana
Scone which said it was suitable for gluten allergies.  She bought one for my
8 year old daughter and brought it to her school lunchtime.  My daughter came
home from school feeling quite ill and was convinced that the scone had
gluten in it as she strictly adheres to her diet and can clearly identify
symptoms upon accidental ingestion of gluten (the last time this happened was
a couple of years ago at Jerry's Deli in Los Angeles when, again with a
friend, she unknowingly had battered coated french fries).  I phoned the
bakery, and was told that the scones were indeed made with spelt flour and
they obviously were not suitable for celiacs and the sign was obviously not
correct....anyway, the owner felt quite badly and was most apologetic, as he
was most familiar with what is allowable for Celiacs.  He said that the signs
would be changed at both locations immediately.  My daughter is o.k.....she
never actually got "sick", but was very, very lethargic and nauseaus.
 So.....anyone on this list in London......beware!  On the positive side,
they do have some gluten free items.....merinques with cream and marzipan
horns!
-Jane Oswaks, London