From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:26:38 -0800

POTS & PANS, BAKEWARE:
-"Stock pot, (I use it for making chicken stock every month from frozen
bones
& carcasses left over from our weekly roast chicken)"

-"my pizza stone.  In fact, I now have two- when going to the trouble of
making pizza, might as well make two!  The crust comes out nice and crisp
on the bottom." "Pizza stone & parchment paper. Build the pizza on the
paper & slide it on to the heated stone." [pizza stones were mentioned by
several people]

-"Now, I have had lots of different stainless cook sets, and this is the
best one so far.  It is called "The Main
Ingredient" and I think it is a house brand for Dillard's (they are a May
Company store like Bloomingdale's)... The whole set cost about $150.00 on
sale, so it wasn't the super-expensive stuff, but it did make a huge
difference in my being able to leave pasta sauce on the stove all day at
low temp without burning."

-"I love my pressure cooker... cooks things very quickly. "

-" My Exopat baking mats."

-"Hamburger Bun pans from Baker's Catalogue (ordered on line):
http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/2452.4.3531218884048225
6184  I make a dozen buns & freeze them."

-" Springform pan for cheesecakes and torts. Pamela's shortbread type
cookies make such a good crust, everyone will want your desserts."

-"non-stick pizza pans... (I like the focaccia recipe in B. Hagman's book
above. I use this for pizza dough. It is wonderful!"

-"I'm not sure how to discribe it, but it's made of a bendable material
about 9x 13 oblong and fits on a cookie sheet and are used to bake
cookies on without greasing but I use it mainly for rolling out dough.
Parchment paper would also work well for dough. You can find them in
different sizes and usually in a good kitchen shop. I bought mine in
Whole Foods but they are a bit expensive, about $20."

-"Must haves include the Chef's Pan (kind of like a wok) from All-Clad.
I am fortunate that I live near the All-Clad outlet and can buy this
stuff at their two annual seconds sales at greatly discounted prices.
This is a great pan for stir fries, pad thai, etc."

-"Everyone should have a 5 1/2 quart Dutch oven."

-"I have a Lasagne Pan from Emile Henry that is great.  It cooks food
much better than Pyrex.  Sometimes food sticks and burns on my Pyrex
dishes, but this rarely happens with my Emile Henry.  I use this whenever
I can."

-"Another must is english muffin rings.  I use them for my hamburger
buns.  they are great.  "

-"Fagor Duo pressure cooker :)"

-"Pizza is the favorite all around, my sister gave me a pampered chef,
pastry roller, flat 3 inch roller on one side and the other side has
rounded edges about 1 1/2 inches long.  I either flour the top of the
dough and grease the rollers, or grease the plastic Reynolds Wrap and
roll over that.  With making pigs in the blanket, I use the pizza dough,
about 1 tablespoon and put the greased plastic wrap over it and roll
slightly and wrap the chicken nitrate free hotdog and bake like the
pizza.  Also just started using Martha Stewards bakeware from K-mart for
the Pizza, easy making and easier clean up."

-"I like the Sil Pat for rolling out pie dough and flipping it into the
pie pan.  I also like a tool from the Pampered Chef that is a rolling pin
with a handle in the center and a roller at each end, two sizes, both
small and work well using saran wrap to roll out most things inside the
pans, bar cookies, pie dough or anything."

-''My family is just my teenage daughter and me.  We both are celiac, and
she has developed sensitivities to all dairy products and grains,
including rice.  I have stopped completely trying to find gf substitutes
for other
fondly remembered foods, and we just use fresh veggies, fruits and meats.
 I have found it useful to just get a couple very big pots.  I schedule a
Saturday every once in a while to be a cooking day.  I make large
quantities
of stuff like stew, chili, soup, and so forth.  I freeze meal size
portions in those disposable containers, label them with the date and the
contents. This way I spend no time whatsoever cooking during the times in
between
cooking days.  I just thaw and heat.  Add a veggie & fruit and presto,
dinner!  Or lunch.''

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com