From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:02:20 EST

I have tried them all and stick with Benedryl since I can get 8 hours easily
with it compared to sleep/relaxant meds.
Have you tried it?  It is a mild sedative too even though the primary use is
as an allergy/antihistamine med.

Klonopin get only 4-5 hours (Addictive benzodiazapine so avoid it long term),
Trazadone (it is good for 8 hours, but the brain fog and long delay in
morning is no good, withdrawal sucks), I was prescribed Sonata last month but
found it is good for 4-5 hours for me so not long enough- was disappointed in
that- no side effects though.  If that is long enough for you maybe give it a
shot.

Next to Benedryl, the biggest help I found is to reduce my stress level to
get better sleep.  Meds like Celexa (SSRI's) help for that.
My 2 cents.
Temazepam is a benzodiazepine (extremely addictive family of drugs - I was
addicted because of sleep problems and am now off.)  Please read on the net
the horrors of benzo's.  Ambien did not solve problems, either, and I'm glad
to learn about their gf status now.    I take Sonata to help fall asleep
(Ithink I have fibromyalgia problems, which include inability to get to stage
3 & 4 sleep).  I take a 5mg pill plus 2 Advil or Tylenol when going to bed,
and then  another when I awake around 4 or before.  I get sleep in 1 1/2 - 2
hour segments - seldom sleep 3 hours at a time.  But if I can piece together
8 hours - means sleeping later in the morning most times, I feel so much
better.  Sonata does not seem to have the aftereffects of Ambien, also. I've
had every conceivable anti-depressant (SSRIs) in low doses to help raise
Seretonin level, and they make me feel horrible and depressed and I don't
sleep any better, but I do think it's because I also take Synthroid, and in
the Synthroid literature there is a warning about taking the SSRIs along with
this thyroid med - could cause toxic or enhanced effects of either, and I thi
nk this is what has happened.  Oh, for an 8-hour segement of sleep.

*************
Hi. I am taking Alprozalam (generic Xanax) made by Geneva. They have
guaranteed me in writing that it is GF. The drug is an anti-anxiety drug, but
it was prescribed for me to help me sleep. A friend of mine was put on Ambien
and she had the nightmares and waking during the night also.
***********************
have you tried taking a gram of cal/mag just before bedtime?  That definitely
helps
you to relax to sleep [md recommended]...he also recommeneded 500mg of B6
before bedtime for us "mature' ladies which stops us waking up around 2=3 AM.
****************
***
[...]

***************
  I received a prescription for Sonata last month.  I have only tried it
twice so far.  The first time, I fell asleep immediately, but woke up an hour
later, and then repeatedly woke up the rest of the night, way more than
normal.  The second time I tried it was a couple weeks later.  I didn't fall
asleep soon after taking it.  In fact, I barely slept all night.  When I did
fall asleep, I would wake up 15 minutes later.  This happened all night.
  For the record, I don't consume caffeine in any form.  No coffee, tea,
chocolate, etc.  Also, I don't take ANY other prescription medications.  I
didn't use any cold medicines, alcohol, or anything else that would have
interfered with the Sonata either.  No stimulants at all!  I doubt I will try
it a third time.
  Weird, huh?  The ironic thing is, the doc prescribed the Sonata for me to
try prior to an upcoming sleep clinic visit, just in case I can't fall asleep
there.  I hope that this medicine works well for others, it just didn't work
for me
I take Sonata with no problems.  It is GF and I don't have the nightmares
that you've been having.

If you have problems with binders, etc., that are used with a particular
drug, try contacting a compounding pharmacist in your area and/or via  the
web.  Often they can use the base components of the drug you need, and they
will make up capsules for you of it with a filler that you can tolerate, like
rice flour, etc.  I have one prescription filled this way, and it is not
particularly expensive, maybe $2 more for the entire bottle of 60.  I imagine
it may depend on the complexity, or the availability of the ingredients.

I would not have known that this option existed, except for my treatment by
naturopathic-oriented physicians, who seem to be aware of this option more
than a standard doctor would be (an endocrinologist I went to said he had
never heard of such a thing).  These pharmacists are not so
terribly common, here in the Seattle area, I only know of two (although there
may be others), and I'm sure we have hundreds of regular drug stores.  But
the ones I deal with will also do overnight mail order, so if you don't find
one in your area, there are other options, they have been very helpful.