From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:32:46 -0800

I got about six replies to my question - Can I grind flax seed in my Whisper
Grain Mill?

One person suggest visiting http://waltonfeed.com/self/grinders.html
for a comparison of three types of mill.  This is an interesting site
but does not mention the type of grains and seed each can handle.  The
poster gave an email address for a more detailed query but I haven't
used it yet.

The other posts were almost unanimous in their advice not to try flax in a
grain mill.  One person said she tried it and her mill started smoking - the
heat burned the oil.

One person said that it might work and added that they had been advised that
when grinding quinoa and fine seeds to only put a about one cup at a time in
the hopper.

Almost all suggested using a coffee grinder or a blender.

I have had excellent ground flax for years from my blender using the small
jars that Oster (and others?) sell for grinding and storage.  Just thought I
might find another use for my grain  mill.

One poster suggested using a pint jar to grind in.  The blender company says
this is dangerous as they are much thinner and lighter than the specially
made grinder jars and containers.

Back to the blender.  Many thanks to the responders.

Jessie on Salt Spring