From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:35:50 -0700

Just as the villi of half of those who are celiac cannot produce
lactase, which makes them lactose intolerant, so two other enzymes are
important in our feelings of good health after eating.

Maltase is an enzyme that converts a white crystalline watersoluble
sugar, called maltose or malt sugar, to glucose. So if your gut is not
able to produce this enzyme you may have a hard time digesting table
sugar or simple carbohydrates like bread and/or pastas (GF of course).

Sucrase (also called invertase) is an enzyme that converts cane sugar
into invert sugar, which is a mixture of glucose and fructose that is
formed naturally in fruits, but produced artificially by treating cane
sugar with acids. So basically if you cannot produce this enzyme you may
have trouble digesting sucrose, table sugar and syrups.

This problem digesting these sugars may manifest as little more than gas
or an uncomfortable bloating and feeling of being full long after you've
eaten. Or they may cause more GI distress, up to resembling an encounter
with gluten. I've found that this is when I need a digestive aid. So
after eating syrup, table sugar, or GF breads, I take just one
Acidophilus pill. I use Shiff milk free Acidophilus with a billion (or
as Carl Sagon used to say "one biullyun") CFU. By Probio Tec. It's not
very expensive but seems to be effective. No corn or soy either.

Before using this acidophilus, I'd eat a small sandwich and feel so full
the rest of the day and evening that I wouldn't want any dinner, which
would often cause She Who Must be Obeyed to hurt me. But now I can eat a
braunschweiger sandwich and then be hungry about two or three hours
later, which often causes She Who Must . . . to hurt me :) I also notice
that when I feel bloated and eat less, I gain weight big time, but when
I get hungry sooner and eat more I lose weight. Go figger.

-vance