From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:49:11 EDT

Hello Listmates,

Last week I posted a question to the list asking if anyone was aware of any
current research on dental enamel defects in people with CD. I had remembered
reading something, somewhere about a study and couldn't find the reference.
I called the Celiac Disease Foundation and they told me that there was a
study done several years ago by Dr. Charles Shuler at USC (that was the one I
was thinking of - and I found a reference to that study in an old issue of
the Sprue-nik Press from 1995) but they were not aware of any current
studies. I was not able to find out the results of his study. I did call and
leave a message for Dr. Shuler asking if he was doing any more research in
this area and if he is I will share that information with the list.

One person warned me about the dangers of mercury in fillings.

One person sent me the following:

I don't know of any current celiac dental research projects, but I happened
to run across this abstract on Medline which may be of interest to you.
There appears to be no significant differences in enamel defects between
children with and without celiac disease:

": Int J Paediatr Dent 2001 May;11(3):179-83

Celiac disease and mineralisation disturbances of permanent teeth.

Rasmusson CG, Eriksson MA.
Department of Pedodontics, Uddevalla Hospital, Uddevalla, Sweden.

In a study from Finland in 1986 it was shown that celiac disease was often
associated with tooth enamel defects of permanent teeth. This study also
showed a strong association between the time of gluten challenge in the
diagnostic procedure and enamel defects. In the current study, dental
examinations were carried out for a group of 40 children and adolescents
suffering from celiac disease diagnosed according to the criteria of The
European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (ESPGAN) at
the Department of Paediatrics, Hospital of Uddevalla, Sweden. A control
group made of 40 healthy children of the same age, sex and living area was
examined in the same way. The results failed to show disturbances of the
same type, degree of severity or frequency as was reported in Finland and
no statistically significant differences concerning enamel defects were
found between the patients with celiac disease and the controls.

PMID: 11484467 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

Regards,
Susan