From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:13:11 -0400

My doctor just prescribed Amaryl for Diabetes.  I called the company
(Hoechst Marion Lab) and was told it is not on their gluten free list.  I
then asked to speak to a Pharmacist there.  He told me he can't guarantee it
because of ingredients coming in from another company.  He then said it is
not a specific ingredient in Amaryl.

My blood sugar level is high and I'm worried about it.  I don't know if I
should call the doctor and ask for another medication.  I am currently on
Glucaphage.  We need to add another one.

I copied this off their web page:

Amaryl is an oral blood-glucose-lowering drug of the sulfonylurea class.
Amaryl tablets contain the active ingredient glimepiride and the following
inactive ingredients: lactose (hydrous), sodium starch glycolate, povidone,
microcrystalline cellulose, and magnesium stearate. In addition, Amaryl 1-mg
tablets contain Ferric Oxide Red. Amaryl 2-mg tablets contain Ferric Oxide
Yellow and FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, and Amaryl 4-mg tablets contain FD&C
Blue #2 Aluminum Lake.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Ginny Mingolla
East Brunswick N.J.