From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:21:35 -0700

Restating my post to the list a few days ago:

"Has anyone ordered the book on Celiac meds from:
www.celiacmeds.com ?   Please give me your comments and opinions.  I have just experienced incredible ignorance during a stay at a hospital in Hartford, CT.  The confusion and lack of education about Celiac Disease was so confounding that my confidence in the care I needed was next to nothing.   Educating medical staff is frightening when your life is in their hands."

The following is a summary of responses:

Three of you said not to bother ordering the book as it is very expensive at $39 plus S&H, is outdated, and not as informative as expected.

One person thought it was "somewhat" helpful.

One person thought it was very helpful.

Others made recommendations that gave more updated information:

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/display.asp?webtag=celiac&msg=42446.1

In addition, I received countless similar stories from people all over the country.  What are we to do about this?  How can we start the education process... make this profession understand Celiac Disease as they understand diabetes?  I was asked over and over again if I was diabetic...but never did anyone become concerned when they handed me yet another cup of meds or instruct me to drink certain fluids prior to a test?  I asked over and over again, "Is it gluten free?" and over and over again, I got that look like I was from another planet.  My stinging words to an ER nurse was this..."My Grandmother died of small intestinal cancer from Celiac.  Are you willing to watch me swallow, risking the same possible outcome?"

We seem to have no choice but to remain our own advocate.  Arm yourself with as much education, granted it will be learned on our own, and do not be afraid to educate others every chance you get.  Don't cop out with words like "I have food allergies".  Be succinct, tell them like it is...our lives depend on it.