From:
deni weber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
deni weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:34:47 -0500

I know that for a long time some folks have assumed meds were gf and
even gone so far as to ask if any were not.  I remember one member
stating they did not worry about meds.  Well, maybe we need to worry a
bit.  My mom was in the ER last night and given a prescription that
she was assured was GF.  I called the pharmacist over another issue
and got the name of the med and double checked.  Right on the website
the ingredient list said "wheat starch" (contains gluten.  The med was
Doryx and is apparently made in Australia.  This is the ingredient list:

Active ingredients:

DORYX 100 mg - contains 100 mg of doxycycline as doxycycline
hydrochloride in each capsule.

DORYX 50 mg - contains 50 mg of doxycycline as doxycycline
hydrochloride in each capsule.

Other Ingredients:

     * lactose
     * cellulose (460)
     * povidone
     * hydroxypropyl methylcellulose phthalate
     * hypromellose
     * diethyl phthalate
     * gelatin
     * shellac (904)
     * carbon black (153)
     * wheat starch (contains gluten)
     * magnesium stearate (470)
     * hydroxypropylcellulose.

This medicine does not contain sucrose, tartrazine or any other azo
dyes.

While I am grateful this info is out there, it appears that wheat as a
bind is still a problem and we need to be diligent.

deni weber