Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:33:21 -0700

    Hearing all the wonderful things about the Outback Steakhouse on the list,
    I took "she who must be obeyed" to one last night. I was well and hopefully
    armed with a nice printed out GF menu from the main office. I should have
    also asked for a dairy free menu as well. I might warn you that it is not
    as cut and dried as it looks. First, for you who are lactose free, they use
    a lot of butter on everything. They were accommodating in their "attempts"
    to prepare things without the butter, but you will note that I am writing
    this at 5:30 AM, my time. Also, the glutenous spices they warn you about
    are in the butter.

    All franchises are not the same: the one I went to, for instance among
    other differences, does not offer the option of substituting a sweet potato
    for the Aussie Chips. And the menu I had differed from their standard one
    in many ways, beginning with the weight of the tenderloin I ordered. My
    menu said 8 ounces. Theirs offered a choice between 7 and 9. Not a lot of
    difference, but never quite the same.

    Also, the waiter hadn't the faintest inkling of what this strange menu I
    had was about. I was hoping for once I would not have to explain
    everything. But when I told him I would like them to prepare the vegies
    without the spices, he didn't know what I was talking about. He insisted
    there were no spices, that the vegies were just buttered. Later, when he
    asked, he found that the spices were in the butter. Goodbye carpeting,
    hello tile and porcelain :) -vance