From:
Donna Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:58:36 -0700

Here is some info. I thought I'd relay on grain-fed catfish.  Its from my
hubby who is a wildlife biologist....

Yes!  If you remember the story I told you about a fellow flight
instructor's mother also having Celiac Sprue, I told you of some of
the problems she has had.  She was unable to eat catfish because they
were fed wheat kernals.  She also had problems with grain fed beef
that had a diet other than corn.
However, most farm raised fish are fed pellets that are well rounded
diets high in protein and very little fillers.  Grain fed fish come
from low quality operations.  Most salmon comes from the ocean where
they prey on other fish and, therefore, are safe to eat.  90+% of all
corn raised in the country is used for feeding beef .  The price is
low enough to allow cattle raised on the range to be fattened up and
made to taste better using corn.  From my limited experience, cattle
are usually fed strictly corn in the final month of their life.  I
could be wrong, but I bet only the most sensitive of Sprue sufferers
react to fish and cattle raised on taboo grain products.

Donna L. Hale, [log in to unmask]
Systems Engineering
Idaho National Engineering Laboratory, MS 3765
Phone (208) 526-1744