Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 08:15:25 -0400

Dear Listmates:

Celiac Disease is not just about flattened villi in the intestine and bowel symptoms. It IS about all of those things that Dr. House discussed on the show. Did we really think they were going to just show the basic symptoms of celiac disease? I think it is great that they opened up the eyes of the medical field and of the celiac community as to how serious this disease is by showing the seizures, inability of the blood to clot, the post-partum depression, the psychosis, and the tetany. It is NOT just an allergy to wheat, rye, and barley.

Maybe the Celiac Community doesn't want to face that undiagnosed CD or diagnosed celiacs that don't follow a gluten free diet can lead to those very complicated things. I for one know that it can from my own personal experience with this disease and from others I know that were in the hospital and being told to call their children because they would not be alive in the morning.

Those of us that were diagnosed at the near death phase of our celiac disease could relate to the show. Celiac Disease is an Auto-immune disease that can lead to very serious complications. The immune systems does go crazy after a woman has a baby and thus can exacerbate any auto-immune diseases, like CD.

As far as the baby dying, I agree it WAS very disturbing. However, it raises a very important question with woman that suffer from post-partum depression. Maybe obstetricians and gynecologists will start screening for CD in woman with these problems after they give birth.

I just wish that the Celiac Community would be thankful and positive sometimes about things that are done for us at a National level.

The fact that 80% responded that it did nothing for our cause- I highly disagree with you.
I think that most of us sat there wondering, wow can this happen with CD? This must be a mistake on the show tonight because this can't be about CD. In reality, it made everyone that watched House take our disease seriously-FINALLY.

Julie Gaereminck

*******
*******