From:
Julie Linton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:31:37 -0400

Here's the information I recieved from all of the wonderful people on
this list.  I edited and compiled it into a list for this young mother,
to be able to go to the grocery store easier.  I did use other
information as well, so thanks to ALL who replied!!!  Julie Linton, RN

My original question is as follows:

  I am a nurse and have just gotten a new client who's child has celiac
  disease.  This young women has her own share of difficulties, and is
  having a difficult time in dealing with her child's disease and diet.
  She is low income and has poor education.  I'm trying to get her more
  information on what types of foods she can buy at her local grocery
  store, that are appropriate and nutritional for her child.  This child
  is extremely small for her age and is at risk for another
  hospitalization soon.  The mother is finding that many foods she
  assumed were glutten free, are actually not.   Can anyone help with
  giving me a list of easy to prepare snacks and foods that I can give
  her???  I have found a lot of information on the net, and have a
  general list of "do's" and "don'ts" for celiacs.  Thanks!

The summary:

Gluten Free Foods

Snacks/Treats
Dannon Yogurt (watch other yogurt for modified food starches on the
   label, which usually means gluten)
Breyers Ice Cream
homemade ice cream
cream cheese (philidelpia is GF)
peanut butter (JIF)
apples and peanut butter
popcorn (ACT II all natural or Orville Redenbacher)
French's potato sticks
Popcycles
Fritos
Hersheys chocolate syrup
M&Ms, Snickers, Starburst, Skittles, Reese's, Lifesaver's, Lollipops,
   Tootsie rolls/pops, Hershey's Kisses or plain bars (NOT the minitures)
Cheese sticks (mozzarella and cheddar)
Rice cakes, except caramelized ones (try using this as sandwich bread)
Jell-O
corn tortilla chips (good with melted cheese) Tosititos are GF
Planter's cheese balls or curls
Lays potato chips
Doritos regular flavor
fruit dip (1/2 yogurt and 1/2 cool whip)
With chips, don't get barbeque flavors, and you can use beans and cheese
   warmed up for dip

Fruits and Veggies
Any fresh or frozen fruits and veggies
Farley's fruit snacks
Celery and peanut butter
Black olives
raisins, figs, dates
dried fruits (like apples and pineapple)
applesauce
fruit cups
No salsa or pickles

Cereals
Rice Chex
Corn Flakes
Corn pops
Hot rice mixed up like oatmeal
Puffed rice
Fruity pebbles
Cocoa Pebbles
DON'T use Rice Krispies
corn pops
check on alpha bits and honeycomb (some celiacs can eat them)

Main Dishes
make sure meats (like turkey) aren't injected with broth
corn tortilla wrap ups (check the label)
corn tortilla with peanut butter, tuna fish, or cheese (you can warm up
   in the microwave)
peanut butter and jelly on GF bread, tortillas, or crackers
?Oscar Meyer hotdogs and bologna
hamburger patties with fresh veggies or homemade guacamole
Rice cake Pizzas
Rice cake topped with pizza sauce (not tomato paste!), mozzarella
   cheese, and ham... then melt in toaster oven or microwave

Side Dishes
RICE
potatoes (baked, boiled, mashed)

Beverages
Sprite
100% Fruit juices (except Prune juice with added calcium and fiber)
milk
Coke

Other gluten free items
Crest or Colgate toothpaste

Things to watch for
check shampoos (for wheat germ oil), lotions, lip balm (can use
   Vaseline), hair sprays,
Art supplies: tempera and some water color paints (these are usually
   what they use to paint children's faces), playdoh, paste, stickers
   and stamps, fingerprint
Watch out for bread crumbs left in toasters, butter, and peanut butter.
No vinegar which can be in ketchup, salad dressings, mustard, mayo,
   sauces, BBQ sauce, ... if the ingredient's list apple cidar vinegar,
   it's ok.

Other Information
Try going to oriental or Hispanic markets, as they will have a lot of
   rice and corn products and will not be nearly as expensive as health
   food stores.

Recipes
Hamburger casserole
   Cook 1 cup of rice
   Add 1 lb. of browned hamburger
   Combine into casserole dish with 15 oz. can of tomato sauce, 1
      tablespoon of parsley, and 1/2 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning
      (or just put in some garlic powder and oregano) and microwave for
      4 minutes.  (I think you could add some cheese too if you like).

Lazy Lasagne
   1 c. of cooked rice,
   1 c. GF cottage cheese,
   1 c. Mozzarella
   1/4 c. Parmesan cheese,
   15 oz. Tomato sauce,
   1 Tbsp. Parsley,
   1/2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
   Combine together in an oven safe dish, microwave for 10 minutes, then
      bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. You can freeze this in small
      baggies and then thaw out for quick meals.

Cheesy Potato Casserole
Ingredients
   16 oz. GF sour cream
   1 small onion chopped
   1 stick of melted butter,
   2 lbs. Ore-Ida hashbrowns thawed,
   2 cups or 16 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese,
   2 pks. Of Liptons Cup-Of-Soup Cream of Chicken (after you make into
      the soup),
   crumbled potato chips,
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together sour cream, onion, butter and soup,
then add cheese and mix,
then add potatoes and mix
Spread into large casserole dish (or several small ones), crumble potato
chips on top and bake 1 hour uncovered.

Nutty Bars
   1 egg
   1/2 c. Sugar
   1 c. Peanut butter
   1 teaspoon of vanilla
Beat egg and sugar until fluffy, add peanut butter and vanilla and mix
well.  Spread into greased 8X8 pan and bake 25-30 minutes at 350
degrees.

Flour replacement recipe
   3 cups of white rice flour,
   1 c. Cornstarch,
   1 tsp Xanthum or Guar Gum
Mix and use to replace flour in cookie and cake recipes (doesn't always
work and won't really work for yeast breads)

Easy cookies
   1 c. peanut butter
   1 c. Sugar
   2 eggs
Mix together, drop on cookie sheet, bake at 350 degrees for 12
minutes.

Pinwheels
   1 Slice of ham, spred with cream cheese, add a line of olives
and roll up.

Baked Apples
   1 apple, cored, mix together butter, cinnamon, and sugar and fill in
the core.  Bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on how
you like them). Nice winter desert.