From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 15:49:44 -0400

I notice a lot of GF recipes have egg replacer in them, sometimes in addition
to eggs.  I have resisted buying egg replacer, because the ingredigents (for
the Ener-G brand) are:  Potato starch, tapioca flour, carbohydrate gum, Ener-G
baking powder (calcium carbonate & citric acid), calcium lactate.
Except for the last ingredient, I have all this stuff in the cupboard, if
xanthan gum qualifies as "carbohydrate gum".  Thus far, I have just used
powdered egg white, and there have been no disasters, but of course I don't
know if things would have turned out even better if I used the egg replacer as
called for in the recipe.  Any thoughts about this?  Has anyone experimented
with what the effects of the various alternatives to the egg replacer are?  (I
don't mean "I always use applesauce and it comes out fine"; I mean "I tried it
with the egg replacer and also with applesauce and the difference in texture
was X" type of thing.)

Thanks for any insights-

Laura

P.S. I tried the "hockey puck" bread someone posted awhile back as my first GF
yeast bread yesterday and was quite pleased.  My husband was a bit alarmed at
the name, but I assure you that it refers to size and shape, and not at all to
density!  I used them for a hamburger roll last night - a bit thin for that
purpose, but serviceable and quite good.  They also toast nicely (split) and
shrink a bit to the size of an English muffin.  The only trouble was that it
was the first time in awhile I had had yeast bread, so I'm afraid I made a bit
of a pig of myself!