From:
"Bergeron, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bergeron, Kathy
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:23:33 -0400

I recd some very good recommendations.  Thank you.

My favorite restaurant is the Sesame Seed, as everything is freshly

made, and they are happy to try to accommodate any dietary needs.

Chili's and Outback both have GF menus, I've had better luck with
consistency at the Chili's.  The Chamomille is a healthfood store with
many GF items.  Most of the grocery stores tend to have at least a
little bit of GF products, but your best bet is the Chamomille.  In
Bethel there is O'Neil's which is a coffee shop (breakfast and lunch)
that has GF baked goods at times, they usually have things on Monday,
but may have nothing by the end of the week;  they are also happy to do
their best to accommodate for someone with GF needs.

I recommend Chris's American Restaurant, 189 Federal Road, Brookfield
(203)775-7072.  The chef/owner, Chris, has educated his waitstaff on
gluten, and the staff will check any menu item with him.  The restaurant
is located about a mile from the Danbury/Brookfield line, and is open
for lunch and dinner. This is the restaurant my family frequently goes
to for lunch or dinner, and it is popular with businesspeople for lunch.

Our health food store in Danbury has lots of GF items - Chamomille
Natural Foods, 58-60 Newtown Road, Danbury (203) 792-8952.

I live in NY State and just returned from Trader Joe's in Danbury
(Rte.84) which has lots of g/f products and 4-5 pages of g/f items they
carry in their store.  You will have plenty from which to choose, tho
they are not in one section, but are in various depts..

For eating out, there is an Outback, which is a no brainer.  It's off
exit 8.  Other restaurants that will accommodate:  Chuck's Steakhouse
(Exit 4 near mall); Chris' (Federal Road); If you are downtown, go to
Two Steps - my brother in law owns it, and I eat there often.  His name
is Keith.  Tell him I sent you!!  They will cook in a separate pan for
you, so I usually get salmon, baked potato, veggies.  Sesame Seed is
another.  Not far from downtown.  Bring some crackers and you can have
awesome hummus, and I've never had a problem w/the rice and chicken or
fish entrees.  They know their stuff, too.

For shopping: Chamomille (health fd store) - down the street from
Outback.  The Stop and Shop on that same street has a health food
section w/some gf food, as well.  They may even have a gf section within
the regular food now, too.

If you are near Ridgefield (one town South), hit Nature's Temptations
(health fd store) - it's smaller than Chamomille, but they have so much
more and are much more helpful.

There is a Trader Joe's right off Exit 2 of 84.

Chamomile off of Exit 8 on I-84

A few years ago we went to CT for a doctor, and we discovered this dairy
store turned supermarket.  They had a very big hot food take out area
and salad bar.  For the two weeks we were there we ate mostly out of
this store's take out because you got more nice food for the money than
in the limited restaurants.  That was before we knew about gluten
problems, but they still had wonderful produce, cut up fruit, a great
salad bar and I think alot of their hot food was made there rather than
shipped in, which would let you ask about ingredients.

There is also a Weis supermarket but it is more run of the mill.  Other
than that I don't know much about the area. www.stewleonards.com

*******
*******