From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:56:37 -0700

I could not agree more!...I even suspect that at some future point in
history, someone will make the point that the most violent times in
history seem to coincide with high wheat consumption (seems like the
Middle East has been eating wheat the longest, and their history has
been much less than peaceful)....Some researchers believe that wheat's
exorphin effects are fairly universal -- it's not just a problem for
celiacs. [In response to my comment to Heidi that some researchers
attribute the violence of the French Revolution to ergotamine psychosis
from moldy wheat, Heidi replied:]... I've heard some say that the
"werewolf legends" all crop up in really wet places that are prone to
wheat/rye mold. All that LSD [produced by ergot mold on wheat] in our
history. I could see a great book "The long and bloody history of
grains" ...  "Going against the Grain" gets into the OTHER problems with
grain, like weight gain, blood sugar problems, lack of nutrients. I kind
of wonder what's going to happen over the next 10 years or so -- there
seems to be a backlash swelling ...-- Heidi

----------------------

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I've known this for the past 17 years
or so. Unfortunately, it seems that's it's only recently that the
medical profession has concluded the same. Not only can food intolerance
cause emotional turmoil but it seems to have a severe impact on IQ. I've
tested myself on several occasions after ingesting lactose and it drops
my IQ by around 10-20%. I've just had a gluten incident and testing
myself revealed a drop of 30%+ in IQ. Not particularly useful when
you're job requires substantial thinking time. ~Adrian [There may be a
few MDs out there who recognise the impact of wheat in destruction of
health, but not many.  I'm a nurse in a busy family practice of 8
doctors and there's hardly a one with even a clue!]

----------------------

...the www.feingold.org diet has contributed to our well being for over
12 years now - avoidance of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives
as well as some naturally occurring salicylates .... ), I think that now
we must be eating something that we should not, though it may just be
that the gluten reaction hangs on for weeks longer than I wish it would.
[Speaking of her son:] The initial rage and destruction is hard enough,
then two weeks lying on the sofa alternating between wanting to die and
wanting to kill, then just sort of short fused and unpredictable.~Hilary

A search for "depression" at www.celiac.com will yield some interesting
articles. ~Scott

Your post struck home with me today because I am going through a gluten
reaction which has me whiped out - dizzy, fainty, foggy, headache, plus
the usual other stuff.  Haven't been to work for two days - afraid to
drive.  I drink rice milk - cow's milk is dangerous stuff!  Be well.
~Jackie in Maryland