From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:22:39 -0700

When I first was diagnosed 6 years ago, I suffered horrible heartburn,
indigestion, gas bloating, malnutrition, almost daily food allergy
reactions, etc.  My regular MD prescribed Zantac which gave temporary relief
for the heart burn, but unfortunately made everything else worse.  I was a
digestive disaster suffering very poor health as a result of it.  The
solution to the problem came as a big shock, an actual paradigm shift to me,
an RN who had been trained to believe that heartburn was caused by "excess
stomach acid" and should be treated with an acid reducing/suppressing drug
(Zantac, Prilosec, Nexium, TUMS, etc.).

I read about the importance of supplementing stomach acid in a very well
written book, WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Jonathan Wright MD.  It
details a whole program for  overcoming heartburn & improving disgestion,
absorption, etc.  At about the same time I read the book, a competent
physician in Seattle prescribed Thorne Bio-Gest.

I very rarely have heartburn or symptoms of indigestion any more.  I can now
enjoy foods that used to cause hives & other unpleasant reactions for me.  A
large & important part of the solution is Thorne Bio-Gest.  I've taken 4
capsules at every meal for about 5 years now.  If I miss too many doses I
pay for it.  Bio-Gest contains ox bile as well as stomach acid (HCl), pepsin
& pancreatin.  It's an excellent product containing replacement of ALL the
natural digestive components.  It contains none of those "plant derived"
enzymes which really means "mold derived."  (I avoid those enzyme products
because I have mold allergies.)  It's a bit pricey, but totally worth what I
pay for it.  I consider it to be the most important supplement I take on a
daily basis.  If I can only afford one supplement, it's Bio-Gest.

If you want to try it, you might have to do some searching to find Bio-Gest
in your area.  It's a high quality pharmaceutical grade supplement & isn't
available at health food stores.  It can only be purchased through certain
pharmacies.  Some pharmacies require a doctor's prescription for it.  You'll
be most likely to find it at a compounding pharmacy or holistic MD's
dispensary.  There are other brands of HCl/pepsin replacements found in
health food stores, but they aren't as complete as Bio-Gest.  I haven't
found any to be as effective, so I continue with Bio-Gest.  I do know others
however, that get satisfactory results from less expensive health food store
brands of HCl/pepsin supplements.

I'll give you a warning, though, use caution.  Bio-Gest is very, VERY strong
& takes a while to adapt to.  The very first week I took it, I got such
relief from taking one capsule, I kinda went nuts & started taking it at
every meal.  After several days, I thought I'd have to call the fire
department to put out the flames!  My doctor ordered me off it for five days
& told me to very, VERY slowly re-introduce it.  It took me several months
of increasing my dose by one capsule a week until I settled on the dose that
completely eliminates my symptoms of indigestion.

The deal is, CD damages more than just our small intestines.  We often don't
make enough of our own stomach acid & digestive enzymes to keep us healthy.
According to Dr. Wright & other physicians I've spoken to, damaged digestive
systems rarely fully recover normal capacity once damaged.  This deficiency
of natural digestive components results in chronic heartburn, bloating, food
allergies, malabsorption & many other symptoms & consequences of
indigestion.  This causes heartburn because our bellies get used to running
on "low" & "forget" how to contain our stomach contents where they belong.
It takes some gentle prompting to retrain our stomachs to hold on tightly to
it's contents unstead of letting them reflux into our esophagus.  Contrary
to popular belief it's actually a highly acidic environment in the stomach
the triggers the lower esophageal sphincter (the LES valve) to clamp shut.
Without an appropriate amount of acid in the stomach, the LES valve gets
lazy & we suffer with heartburn.  The lazy LES has to be retrained by slowly
increasing stomach acid w/ meals.  Dr. Wright's book explains many other
things that can contribute to LES dysfunction.  His book outlines an
excellent program for overcoming chronic indigestion.

Valerie in Tacoma