From:
aimee williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
aimee williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 13:36:22 -0400

Hi all
I did the oats challenge because i miss oats and wanted to know if i
actually could eat them.

i bought a cereal that was only oats, but it did process wheat and other
gains in its facility.

So: i did a control test.  I put 1/4 cup of oats in my regular cereal.  If
there was gluten contamination, it wouldnt be much in a 1/4 cup, and i
occasionally eat a small bite of cracker or pizza crust with no ill effects.
If I had no problem after eating this, then I had planned on slowly putting
more oats in my regular cereal and seeing how i felt.

well, i didnt get past the first day.  afew hours after eating the oats in
my cereal, the diarrhea hit me.  i figured, well maybe its something else..
i was in the bathroom ALOT for the next 3 days, and i had stomach cramps
like i have not had since before i went gluten free.  I was so hungry too,
like nothing i was eating was being absorbed!

here is something else i noticed:  when people get indigestion, they get
that acid stuff that comes up in their throat and it burns. well, i had
that EXACT same burning sensation during those days i was battling my
horrible diarrhea.    so i concluded, if my food is being mixed with
stomach acid in my stomach and then going to my intestines to be
absorbed...but if it doesnt get absorbed and straight to my large intestine
and colon..it makes sense that there would be some stomach acid in with my
food.  I could be wrong, does anyone else have any thoughts on that?