From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:09:46 -0800

Dear Listmates,

I asked the following question about sinus symptoms and gluten. The
note that one person mentioned that confectioner's sugar should be GF.

Lissy

Question:

>Recently I have been getting pain and a dry feeling in the sinuses with no
>signs of infection. I have since discovered that the Bridge Mix candy I
>thought was GF may not be as it contains 'confectioners sugar'. I am
>wondering if other people get this symptom after ingesting gluten. I
>thought it might be related to the gut retaining water after ingesting
>gluten and in effect is a sign of dehydration in the body tissues.

*I have not had a recurring sinus problem since going gluten free, so I
would guess yes, it is due to gluten....Prior to, I had one infection after
another.

*When I ingest gluten it causes my sinuses to swell and get congested.
They sure don't dry up. I think there is a systemic inflamation of the mucous
membranes after gluten ingestion.

*Lissy, I think a lot of celiacs have sinus problems when they eat gluten. I
used to get sinus infections.

*I get this symptom too.  Gluten messes with my skin and I've assumed that it
affects my mucus membranes as well.

*I certainly have bad sinuses in the way you describe and
unfortunately I do seem to get accidental gluten poisoning
more frequently than I would like.
   Possibly it is because I inhale dust that may contain
gluten?  I've been getting better though lately because
I picked up an attachment for a water pick that cleans
your sinuses. gross I know but it really seems to help.