Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 13:51:42 -0400

Hello list mates,

    A few months ago we checked with Heinz regarding the GF status of
their Ketchup, and was informed that it was gluten free (good news)
since they use corn vinegar in it. The representative added that Heinz
makes their own vinegar (only from corn). So when I saw an old favorite
relish, Heinz Piccalilli on the supermarket shelf, I checked the
ingredients list and reasoned that it is "safe" for me.
    Less than two hours after having some with a meal that was otherwise
definitely gluten free, I began to have problems (3 days later still
having some). The next morning I called Heinz (1-800-872-2229) and spoke
with a very knowledgeable and pleasant woman who, when asked if the
Piccalilli was GF, immediately responded that it was NOT. She said their
Sweet relish (green) is gluten free. When I mentioned about the corn
vinegar that I was told that Heinz makes, she said that's true, but
because they use far more vinegar than they can make, they buy it, for
some products, from other suppliers. They do not know the source of the
vinegar they buy, and therefore do not put it on their gluten free list.
She said Heinz is currently in the process of updating it, and the new
list should be ready by "mid May". She suggested that I call back after
May 15 to get a copy of the new list.
    So it goes right back to the same old advice: keep checking; make no
assumptions! Hope you find this useful.

Bill in Delaware