From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:57:10 -0400

I'm sure you already figured out that there was a missing step, but old cookbooks written by groups of women in an organization leave some obvious steps out.  I've been using the recipe for so long, I didn't catch the omission.  It's in capital letters... Yes, you need to fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture and be very gentle about it, as you would with any poofy, light cake. Sorry about that.

Lin

Gluten-free, kosher-for-Passover.   From Lubavitch Woman's Organization cookbook.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat egg whites of 9 separated eggs until partially stiff.   (And YES, SEPARATE THE EGGS FIRST.)
Add three quarters cup sugar and beat until very stiff.  Set aside.

Mix the egg yolks with three quarters cup sugar, 1 1/3 cups potato starch and the juice of one half lemon (about 1 1/2 tbs).

GENTLY FOLD EGG WHITES INTO EGG YOLK MIXTURE.

Pour into ungreased tube pan or 9 x 13" baking pan and bake at 350 for one hour.

Before removing from oven, turn off oven, open door slightly and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Remove and invert tube pan on a wine bottle (empty...don't want to ruin the wine), to cool. I don't invert the 9x13 baking pan. I just cool it on a cookie rack.

SMALLER VERSION:  There is a similar version using 7 eggs, one cup sugar, and one cup potato starch, and juice of one lemon or 3 tbs. This version calls for a greased tube pan, which I find keeps the batter from rising. And it calls for baking for three quarters of an hour.

*******
*******