Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:00:08 -0700

Well, I have to say you guys really came out to support me when I was
feeling awful about life as a Celiac.  I'll do a little recap for you on
what is my problem:  basically after three years GF, STRICTLY eating
whole foods and only  2 choice packaged foods I still remain ill.  I
told the basics of my diet and asked for help because I'm 23 and feeling
old old old.

I recieved 30 responses within four hours of the posting!  It was
amazing and I felt so supported and hopeful.  Essentially what about 85%
of the respondants told me was that I probably was experiencing a
"sympathetic" food sensitivity from the Leaky Gut many of us have due to
damaged intestine.  This is the idea I think is most possible.  Some
people suggested cross-contamination but I have almost totally ruled
this out as there is nothing to cross contaminate me - unless people are
injecting gluten into grapes these days!

The foods most respondants suggested eliminating for a few weeks at a
time were nuts, soybeans, milk products, and corn.  I will start wiht
soy and corn first, as I feel they are the most likely culprits.  The
strong message here is that we are all different and there's not really
any way for any of us to tell the other what  we're sensitive to.  It's
all about testing and figuring it out.

Another suggestion which has already helped me was to be sure I'm
drinking *extra* water now that I get so much fiber.  The fiber takes
water out of our systems so the more fiber we eat, the more water we
need.  I am feeling GREAT today b/c I took advantage of that suggestion!

Another suggestion I recieved was that I have a yeast problem.  After
speaking with many really great doctors (I have a fabulous, fabulous
psychiatrist as well as Internist) it turns out that yeast overgrowth
actually happens most often in people with VERY compromised immune
systems such as people going through Cancer treatments and those with
AIDS.  My docs are great, they don't rule things out when ask (they're
very open minded) but they say there are a lot of charletains stealing
from people claiming they feel bad b/c of yeast, selling them expensive
products to help cure it.  I am not saying that it's extremely possible
for a Celiac to have this type of problem but it's unlikely I do as I am
actually extremely vital and strong as far as immunity is concerned.  I
am pretty much never sick outside the gut problems.

Other than that, people suggested taking Quercetin as an anti-
inflammatory to help the digestive tract just "chill out " for a while
I think I'll try this and see if it helps.  My docs say it can't hurt.
One highly likely problem with Celiacs is that of a Niacin deficiency.
I looked into this and found a new multi-vitamin that has a lot of the B-
Vitamins.  I'm now taking Animal Friends by Twin Labs vitamins for
children.  I keep those down better than adult vites.

** A very important thing to note here is that of almost 100 responses,
70% felt the same way as I do - still crappy!  Of the other 30% who felt
great, almost all of them are on a whole-foods diet and have eliminated
a number of sensitive foods.  A whole foods diet, FYI, is one where you
only eat things you make from scratch like fruits and veggies and meats.
 Nothing from a jar or can or box.  Almost none of these healthy people
eat restaurant food. I will become more stringent in my whole foods
diet.

I am already feeling more hopeful knowing these suggestions.  When I
feel sick now I know I can do the elimination diets and will most likely
get to the bottom of my problems.  The most important thing to have is
hope, and I'm so glad I have you guys to help restore mine!

Sincerely,
Joanna Pass